Door Glass 'fuzzy strip'

Like almost all old vehicles, the glass guides and seals at the bottom of the window opening need replacement.  Glass run channels are readily available.  So are the seals but, the old seal design doesn't really do much to keep water out of the door, just stop rattles.  It's just a 'fuzzy strip' with little button clips to attach to the holes punched in the door.

newer cars and trucks use a rubber seal with a fuzzy liner that allows it to slip on the glass easily.

Has anyone tried adapting one of these to our old trucks?  

It should be possible to attach them with some of the 3M high bond trim tape.  But the key will be finding seals with the right shape and dimensions to adapt.  That's where I'm hoping to tap into others experiences.  Not into original at all and keeping the water out of the door seems to be a good thing.  Not that my truck will see a lot of rain but, just in case.   I had to repair some rust in one of mine, probably because the drain hole was plugged by undercoating that had been sprayed inside the door,  and don't want to do it again.

Maybe I'll just go to a U-Pull-It and grab a few to play with.

new styles fall into the range of wiper....they will remove water and such from the glass when rolled up and down lot better than just the fuzzy anti rattle strips.   The outer is truly your only real NEW style you may want to change...first is the fact it is impossible to get the fuzzy with the clips built in and trying to attach anything to mimic factory is not usually successful.  Pay attention to the roll of the door in this area....this one feature alone could be the most limiting aspect of attaching modern style belt stripping.    Some seat cover clips/cleats can attach this style to the existing frame of the door.

attaching the older fuzzies is not at all hard to do and while I see you wish to use the new....if you are unable to find new to adapt, you can use the clips from a couple other car markers of the era to attach to the Mopar....hole size mod is in my experience the only thing you need to do.  Glue is not the right method to attach as with most any glued on piece you will be setting yourself up for paint damage should you have to remove these to replace a glass or repair a damaged regulator.  This can be very costly shortcut in the long run.  

Yeah I'm only interested in the outer.  I was looking at my Tundra.  It has a rubber wiper/seal with a really thin fuzz on the side that contacts the glass so it slides easily.   I'm not takin' it off to see, but it looks to be mounted with adhesive.

If I use the trim tape from 3m there's no issue with paint damage.  That's it purpose in life.  To remove use a razor blade to cut it, carefully, if a heat gun doesn't work.  Then use one of the drill mounted erasers to peel the remainder off the paint.  Really common thing in body shops that work on newer stuff.

And, my 56 is getting modern urethane paint that the 3M tape is designed to be used on.  Older paint technologies may not work as well.

On 6/26/2022 at 9:54 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

new styles fall into the range of wiper....they will remove water and such from the glass when rolled up and down lot better than just the fuzzy anti rattle strips.   The outer is truly your only real NEW style you may want to change...first is the fact it is impossible to get the fuzzy with the clips built in and trying to attach anything to mimic factory is not usually successful.  Pay attention to the roll of the door in this area....this one feature alone could be the most limiting aspect of attaching modern style belt stripping.    Some seat cover clips/cleats can attach this style to the existing frame of the door.

attaching the older fuzzies is not at all hard to do and while I see you wish to use the new....if you are unable to find new to adapt, you can use the clips from a couple other car markers of the era to attach to the Mopar....hole size mod is in my experience the only thing you need to do.  Glue is not the right method to attach as with most any glued on piece you will be setting yourself up for paint damage should you have to remove these to replace a glass or repair a damaged regulator.  This can be very costly shortcut in the long run.  

I just day before yesterday went to the shop with my fuzzy trim pieces for the car I am working now.  The outer is as you are seeking and also an upgrade to this door of the style that is an actual wiper and fuzzy combo.  The inner is as stock and will clip into the door as normal.  The outer has been prepped to also snap into the door as original and not use any glues.   I am not sure of the manner your door is fitted...length etc....but these are just over 19"  

IMG_0214.JPG

IMG_0215.JPG

IMG_0217.JPG

I have bought from DCM a few products. RW-101 rubber bumpers, RW-105 L-shaped fuzzy, RW-137 sweeper clip, and RW-175 sweepers. The PO had used weather strip adhesive on my 46 P15. The door had small holes on the outer skin, for the early design sweep, that I enlarged to accept the clip. I think the trucks have a larger hole, because my 47 truck has sweeps and clips and enlarging the hole would have been a problem I would remember. Rick D.

13 hours ago, 9 foot box said:

I have bought from DCM a few products. RW-101 rubber bumpers, RW-105 L-shaped fuzzy, RW-137 sweeper clip, and RW-175 sweepers. The PO had used weather strip adhesive on my 46 P15. The door had small holes on the outer skin, for the early design sweep, that I enlarged to accept the clip. I think the trucks have a larger hole, because my 47 truck has sweeps and clips and enlarging the hole would have been a problem I would remember. Rick D.

I was looking there but the pics are terrible and next to no product description.  Maybe your experience can help.  What is the material of the RW-175?  Rubber?  Rubber with fuzzy face? or what? 

My truck had only a fuzzy strip, no rubber seal at all.  Probably not the original as it had been repainted at least twice overall + repair to the rt door and fender.

They are a metal strip 7/16" wide by 1/4" thick with the fuzzy face. It is being held to my garage door with a magnet. Rick D.

DCP_1500.JPG

DCP_1504.JPG

Your welcome.  Well then go to C.R.Laurence website and go to page 252 and maybe you will find an appropriate seal. It might be up or down a page for what you want. I don’t think you can seal out rain, but it’s best to keep the the drain holes open at the bottom of the doors by vacuuming any undercoating or sound deadener that has fallen off the inner door skin. Call DCM and see what he says about 56 C models. Rick D.