1942-48 DeSoto radiator

MarcDeSoto

Here are some pics of the new radiator.  I got my new NOS aftermarket radiator still in the box yesterday.  It's an aftermarket radiator that was sold or stocked by Montgomery Ward in Denver, CO.  It was sent in the original box, that is certain.  Check out the old style printing on the box.  This could have been boxed in the very late 40s or 50s judging from the age shown on the box.  We heard something metallic rolling around in the top tank, so we got it out, and it was a piece of solder.  We gave it a flow test and it passed superbly as you would expect from a new old stock radiator.  We installed it and that's another step toward getting this engine started.  

P1030014.JPG

P1030015.JPG

P1030017.JPG

P1030018.JPG

P1030007.JPG

P1030008.JPG

P1030011.JPG

P1030014.JPG

P1030009.JPG

Edited by MarcDeSoto
  • Like 3

Yes, thanks to Sniper!  Just think how long this radiator has been sitting in that box!  Probably close to seven decades!  I sold the 46-48 Dodge radiator to Dan Hiebert and was glad to find it a good home with him.  

Edited by MarcDeSoto

8 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

My NOS radiator didnt come with drain cock.  Is it 1/4" npt or 1/8" npt?  

Talk about confusing,  if it measures just over 5/16" it is 1/8pipe, if it is just over 1/2" it is 1/4pipe.  No wonder folks have difficulty with that!