Starter problem on 48 DeSoto

MarcDeSoto

I installed my new after market radiator today.  It looked like it was in the original box and had the name Montgomery Ward on it.  Who knows how old it is?  50s?  I hooked up my remote starter button to the positive terminal of the battery and the other lead to the upper right terminal on the solenoid.  I've been doing this for weeks and it always cranked over well.  this time when I pressed the button nothing.  I put a new charged on the the battery.  Still nothing.  I checked the battery cables and they were tight on the battery and on the block and starter terminal.  Still nothing.  I thought I had a bad remote switch, but I checked it with a multi tester and it checked out good.  The only thing I can think of now is an open between the solenoid and the starter.  I checked it with my ohm meter and there was continuity when the battery cable was attached, but no continuity when the battery cable was disconnected.  Is that normal or not?  

With the battery cable disconnected, there still should be continuity between 2 ends of the same cable.   

Be careful with using an ohm meter to check resistance (continuity) with any power 9Battery) on the system. You can mess up your meter.   

Will it start normally with you sitting in the car (without the remote)?

Did you mean checking across the solenoid to the starter or checking the cable?

Maybe try jumping the 2 terminals (quickly) with a large screwdriver (or 2) just to see if it engages/spins.

It will spark a bit but your only touching them momentarily. If it works then it is either your remote switch or connection somewhere.

8 hours ago, Bryan said:

Did you mean checking across the solenoid to the starter or checking the cable?

Yes, I connected the remote starter between the Upper right side of the solenoid with the lower right side of the solenoid where the negative battery cable is connected.  There was no continuity between these two points with the cable off, but there was continuity with the cable attached.  I don't think its the remote because I went out and bought a new one.  Both remotes checked out good using my ohm meter.  

I can't believe I made such a dumb ass mistake after I'd been doing correctly for many weeks, and no one caught it!  If you read my first post, I said I connected one of the remote starter lines to the positive battery cable and the other line to the upper right terminal of the solenoid.  WRONG!!!!  You don't connect one of the wires to the ground side of the battery!  You connect it to the negative side of the battery!!!  Did that and now it cranks like gang busters!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, MarcDeSoto said:

I can't believe I made such a dumb ass mistake after I'd been doing correctly for many weeks, and no one caught it!  If you read my first post, I said I connected one of the remote starter lines to the positive battery cable and the other line to the upper right terminal of the solenoid.  WRONG!!!!  You don't connect one of the wires to the ground side of the battery!  You connect it to the negative side of the battery!!!  Did that and now it cranks like gang busters!

You mean you couldn't get any electrons from the ground? ?