Car buyer scam?

OUTFXD

I made a financial mistake. Not a big one, just enough to put a squeeze on monthly living. I decided to sell my 2008 Subaru Legacy To take the heat off.

I have had three calls in a row on the car. they start out asking a few baseline questions about the car, Then Request a VIN report on the car. at first I though this was reasonable and worked twords getting them what they where asking. The first one I got my links messed up and got the wrong VIN report in PDF format and downloaded it. The guy responded that it was the wrong one, he wanted one from a specific sight. I looked it up and it was $27. This morning I only had $3 in my bank account and spent one of them buying a subscription so I could get the VIN report I already had.

The One I had wasnt good enough and he would only accept one from a specific sight. I told him I couldnt afford it and he said He had "cash in hand", "am not bartering or negotiating" thought I "was asking a fair price" and felt it was a "Fair request".

When I offered to drive the car to where he was so he could inspect it he got mad.

The next two calls where almost the same. Thery where interested in the car and wanted a VIN report, the one I had wasnt good enough and they would only accept one from a specific sight (Changed each time but was always a $30-$50 charge). They always said they had "Cash in hand" "am not bartering or negotiating" " Was asking a fair price"(for the car)and felt it was a "Fair request".

Now maybe I am just paranoid but three different people refusing the report I have only accepting a report from specific sights (Different each time)and making identical comments verbatim is awfully suspicious.

Anyone familier with anything similar?

47 minutes ago, OUTFXD said:

I made a financial mistake. Not a big one, just enough to put a squeeze on monthly living. I decided to sell my 2008 Subaru Legacy To take the heat off.

I have had three calls in a row on the car. they start out asking a few baseline questions about the car, Then Request a VIN report on the car. at first I though this was reasonable and worked twords getting them what they where asking. The first one I got my links messed up and got the wrong VIN report in PDF format and downloaded it. The guy responded that it was the wrong one, he wanted one from a specific sight. I looked it up and it was $27. This morning I only had $3 in my bank account and spent one of them buying a subscription so I could get the VIN report I already had.

The One I had wasnt good enough and he would only accept one from a specific sight. I told him I couldnt afford it and he said He had "cash in hand", "am not bartering or negotiating" thought I "was asking a fair price" and felt it was a "Fair request".

When I offered to drive the car to where he was so he could inspect it he got mad.

The next two calls where almost the same. Thery where interested in the car and wanted a VIN report, the one I had wasnt good enough and they would only accept one from a specific sight (Changed each time but was always a $30-$50 charge). They always said they had "Cash in hand" "am not bartering or negotiating" " Was asking a fair price"(for the car)and felt it was a "Fair request".

Now maybe I am just paranoid but three different people refusing the report I have only accepting a report from specific sights (Different each time)and making identical comments verbatim is awfully suspicious.

Anyone familier with anything similar?

No but good you caught it.  Anytime they start getting pissed that you don't do something exactly like they want it, watch out.  Sounds highly suspicious.  Bryan

simple as this and the scammer I encountered this morning...at least I am calling him a scammer....rules of buying.....

price is as posted in ad

there is no bottom line without an in person inspection of the car to show WHY I may be off in my pricing

cash in hand at sale..

no checks of any sort...cashiers or other wise...we not talking mega thou here folks...

no agents....positive picture identification of buyer at time of sale for proper information for filling out bill of sale and title 

see the above, NO AGENTS.....

payment to be made before loading onto trailer or hauler etc.

I am not a broker, dealer or flipper...I got it, you want it...bring cash

• Thanks 1

and another thing...say they make arrangement to meet to see a car...police station parking lot is great for this....if they show in a group....that means they have muscle, test drive folks and means to take the car they drove up in at the same time and be gone while you get booted if YOU are LUCKY.....sad days we are in now...I do not look at this as paranoia...I look at it as the basic street rules..the folks you dealing with did the alterations over time. 

• Thanks 1

hold will work for me and I have used them and never had a problem..often, others will not hold....lets say I am coming to look at your car and call and tell you I will be there in 4 hours due to the distance....IF you cannot wait 4 hours as I spend my time fuel and such to get to your place....I ask only the car be there and available to me at listed price, not higher because you just to an offer in the wings...then I have no trust in the seller.  IF you think that is a slam to you I am sorry....now if I had a teleporter....be a no brainer....but, think bout it, if some one else offers while I am enroute...its a definite backup buyer...but somewhere you should give courtesies to the out of towner coming your way.  I have had folks honor this and have bought cars in this fashion in Indiana, Ohio, WV, SC, Kanasa, Florida, Missouri and so many that were just a hour or so away.    If I am not there when I say...then I failed to deal...if they sell it before our agreed meet....they a jerk...for sure their car their call...but they less than honest and still a jerk.

So I am upto 5 callers with the same scam  This last guy was using a seatle area code.  I proded him  a little bit "Do people actually fall for this"  "Did they send you a script" etc and the totally didnt react but kept on trying to guilt me into buying their service.  I am begining to suspect an AI or a Chatbot.