Pflaming

The news of my demise is greatly exaggerated.  I’m still active but much slower. I gto bit by a tick in Maine last may and ended up with lyme infection.  Today I’m about 30% of what I was 18 months ago. The two big issues are chronic fatigue and very low energy level. I now get in about 3 hrs of shop time per day and if that is highly strenuous then Im down for a day.  But I’m slowly gaining and will try’ to finish and sell what I have except the truck.   My best to all of you.  PF

2E085651-417A-4FEA-B4E0-0096122BB0C9.jpeg

01DDF6CE-2D2E-46E5-86AF-6D676C49C1EA.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Very sad to hear this Paul.

Take it one day at a time as you are doing.

Try to keep a positive outlook and get better!

It's good to see a post from you!?

I had figured you stumbled on Jimmy Hoffa's body and been silenced with your absence...

Lyme disease if not fun.....even a young whipper snapper once diagnosed can be two years to anything close to recovery...wife's nephew is coming close to 6 years now and is about back up to speed.  My neighbor for his age has done well but like you.....tires quickly...longer rest time between work bouts...ticks always make me nervous for this very reason.....I stay out of the woods...fish is so much easier caught on sale at the grocery store and well, Bambi is nothing but a tick hotel on the hoof.   I am in the midst of a brutal heat wave and will try a new discipline of being in the shop by about 4AM and get my shop hours in early....just got to do things quietly till start of normal working hours.  I never disturb my neighbors though most are far enough from the shop not to know what I am doing anyway.  

It is NEVER about finishing a project...it all about the time being creative and engaged in something you enjoy....deadlines take it from fun to a JOB....I have no need of a job...90% of don't if you honest with yourself.  

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry that you're having such issues, Paul, but it sounds like there is a little flicker of improvement, which sounds encouraging.  I'm 52 years old, and I have some days in the garage when I only get in three hours before I'm tired.  The crucial threshold is whether you make progress at all, even if it's not more than three hours a day, or not even everyday.  I wish the best for you, and I look forward to seeing your upcoming posts.

Update: I can now work in the shop for about five (5( hours, a huge improvement. I’m working on my sportster, maybe a driver by the end of the week. These are my bed rails, from oak, stained with clear coat. 

458B3560-F22A-4D2D-A2E6-8CAA224EBDBC.jpeg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Update: Early last week I had a fatigue relapse. I slept on and off for two days and three nights. Was better by mid week, so got a few things done. Two important items, repaired and axle seal and Installed the pedal assembly. That is a hard one, requires a lot of body twisting.  Tomorrow, new cable tubes then ready for engine install.  Weather stays above 100 and will be thus all this week. 107 and 108 on Wednesday and Thursday.  . 

FC54133A-EB4B-4915-A824-06BC0E10DAB5.jpeg

A541FCCE-9F22-4D57-9A22-9B60A0F035F1.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

update: as noted earlier, in addition to the lyme infection mid October I broke the small bone in a leg. Been off feet ever since. But I’m starting to walk now without care nor walker.  So maybe I can get back into the shop in another month or so  I’m about ready to sell all as is , where is but maybe there is enough left in me to finish each and sell. All are at 90% complete. Trust all are well and content. PF.

• Like 2

On 1/12/2023 at 12:28 PM, pflaming said:

update: as noted earlier, in addition to the lyme infection mid October I broke the small bone in a leg. Been off feet ever since. But I’m starting to walk now without care nor walker.  So maybe I can get back into the shop in another month or so  I’m about ready to sell all as is , where is but maybe there is enough left in me to finish each and sell. All are at 90% complete. Trust all are well and content. PF.

I'm glad you are on the road to recovery, and I hope you will continue to find the inspiration (and physical endurance) to complete the tasks at hand.

I just make an appointment with the CHP to get the vin numbers on my project cars.  This really surprised me, the inspector wlll come to me and do all at one time, at NO CHARGE. That will really help with time constraints.  Friday I got a cortisone shot in the bad legs knee and that really helped, now to get the strength back.  

Today I returned my suburban to the shop. Went to storage, started it and drove it home. So now begins a next phase. I still only work every other day and even then very carefully. I have a video but too large to post.  CHP on Monday! Making progress again.

436686F6-0CD0-441B-99C2-E1FC0F7DFFB8.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...