P15 Gearshift Housing Seals

Sam Buchanan

My '48 P15 is losing tranny fluid in the area of the gearshift housing. It appears any loss would be through the o-rings on the selector shafts and past the housing gasket. At one time I found a source for the gasket and o-rings but can't find that anymore.

Anyone have info about resealing the housing and shafts and where these o-rings and gasket can be found? They may be generic--in that case I should be able to source them and can make a housing gasket if necessary (Permatex Ultra-Black?).

I use Redline MTF in the tranny and it being synthetic may be aggravating the leakage, but I LOVE how the transmission shifts with that lubricant.

gearshift-housing.jpg.21df4df26d8a35addd0ffdbdbf39007a.jpg

Edited by Sam Buchanan

On my 52 Cranbrook I used an O ring from the hardware store for the upper shaft. On the side shaft, I sourced an "X" cut o ring from Clearwater Hydraulics (ebay) #2-111/Q       SIZE = 7/16 x 5/8 x 3/32. Hope this helps.

This is what I came up with for my 51 Cambridge

I am going to pull my trans when I swap the 230 in.  Thinking ahead I should probably reseal it and clean it up.  Nice paint, etc.

So with that in mind I am thinking to put together a good reseal kit.  Best Gasket sells a gasket kit, no seals.

So here's my reseal kit listing

Best Gasket 5076 - gaskets
NATIONAL 8160S -  output shaft seal
Speedo adapter seal - Honda 91204-HB3-004
Verify the input retainer groove lines up with the drain.

lower shifter shaft seal Clearwater Hydraulics #2-111Q, McMaster Carr 90025K224

Clutch and shifter bushings, any insights there? 1135626 (clutch)

What else am I missing?

Thanks

Oil Seal, Speedometer Drive Pinion (chrome leather, 11/62 I.D.  37/64 in O.D.m .150 in thick)

One thing I notice, earlier transmissions use a different part number speedometer pinion seal than my 51.  No idea what the difference is though,

652840 - P15 up to 15250253  see thread

1134949 after, see thread

23 hours ago, Sniper said:

This is what I came up with for my 51 Cambridge

I am going to pull my trans when I swap the 230 in.  Thinking ahead I should probably reseal it and clean it up.  Nice paint, etc.

So with that in mind I am thinking to put together a good reseal kit.  Best Gasket sells a gasket kit, no seals.

So here's my reseal kit listing

Best Gasket 5076 - gaskets
NATIONAL 8160S -  output shaft seal
Speedo adapter seal - Honda 91204-HB3-004
Verify the input retainer groove lines up with the drain.

lower shifter shaft seal Clearwater Hydraulics #2-111Q, McMaster Carr 90025K224

Clutch and shifter bushings, any insights there? 1135626 (clutch)

What else am I missing?

Thanks

Oil Seal, Speedometer Drive Pinion (chrome leather, 11/62 I.D.  37/64 in O.D.m .150 in thick)

O ring for the upper shaft seal.