Damn hub caps!

slatgrille

While travelling home from a car show yesterday, one of my P15 hubcaps decided it didn't like the ride! Apparently the bumpy back road launched it somewhere. No idea where or when it disappeared. So now I only have 3 original hubcaps.....grrrrrrrrr ?.

My question: Is there any trick or fix to keep these on the wheel besides just being tight? I have driven many miles over the same roads previously without issue. Now I need to search for a replacement that I'm sure will be costly.....?

Thanks for any input.

Craig

some will add RTV when installing the caps...many will actually check to ensure that the spring clips are not sprung and thus apply adequate gripping....and regardless of any approach the chance of losing a cap is always there I suppose and why many will place their name and phone number inside the cap in hopes if found would get their cap returned to them.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sam Buchanan said:

Plymouthy's favorite solution is to remove all the hubcaps and paint the wheels red.   ??

and then you woke up...(but I like your jab)....actually my choice is to  lose the steel wheel and go alloy.....only one of my old cars with steels wheels has the factory correct Cello wire caps on them.....many here would balk gasp and scream to the heavens on the initial cost of Cello caps let alone the work to make them shine like new money or tolerate the time added when servicing the wheel.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Thanks for the suggestions. The more I think about losing that cap, the more agitated I get. These caps are original to the car....1948! That's 74 years, at least 62k (or perhaps 162K) miles and who knows how many tire changes....all without losing them! I drive it several hundred miles and POOF....one's gone....

Yeah! The damn things fly off when you don't want them to, and difficult to get off when you do. I tweaked my clips and they stay on fine now, but it's a struggle to get them off without damaging the paint. If the clips are in just the right positions they do work fine. Only takes one lunkhead to damage the clips if the cap is not taken off carefully. You can still find new clips, but they're riveted on. It's a project to replace them correctly.

They make cool little GPS locating devices now, but they have a pretty limited range, something like 250 feet. I also wonder how they'd react to being spun while stuck to the inside of a hubcap at highway speeds.

Edited by ratbailey

I have some NOS 46-48 DeSoto Deluxe hubcaps on my my.  At first, I couldn't put them on, not even by hammering them with a rubber mallet.  Then I discovered that you can bend the clips in or out to make them tighter or looser.  They are adjustable!  All you need is a chisel or a large screwdriver.  

I'll definitely be 'tightening' up those clips for the next hubcap I can find....whenever that will be....

Craig

I remember back in the 70s in Minnesota a company started up by selling used (found on the roads) hubcaps. He turned it into a tidy business. I don't imagine he is in business anymore.

The 47 P15 has several broken clips that hold the hub caps on.  So I leave the caps off while driving and then I put them on when I get to a show.  Take them back off when I leave.  New clips have been collected and I'll install them one day.  

I found a few 'driver' caps on ebay and am looking at a third perhaps. Think I'll stock up with extras!

Craig

Slatgrille,  I bought a 1940 Plymouth last year that came with a bunch of extra parts including about 12 original hubcaps.  If you want, email me a picture of the style you need and if I have one (or two) I'll be glad to give them to you (you just need to pay for the shipping).  Dave 

PA, got it.  For the record, I'm not skirting anything as I offered to cap to slatgrille for free (not trying to make any money here).  Kind of like the headlight I gave you.  Take care.

I understand that completely and is most commendable...GTK is kind enough to offer wanted listing for free...seller have to pay for an ad....thus if offering free (you wish no monetary gain) it is showing respect to GTK to do this privately...but then, this is just my opinion...many still abuse the policy in place with outright offers to sell on open forum...totally out of line and shows blatant disrespect for the rules and cuts into GTK's funding to host this forum which thus far remains free to the public at large.

PA, thank you for the clarification.  My mistake.  I will absolutely avoid doing this in the future.  I have the utmost respect for you and all of our forum members and would never intentionally try to upset anyone or do things not in line with expectations.

6 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

cuts into GTK's funding to host this forum which thus far remains free to the public at large.

On that note, anyone is free to make a donation to help support the site as well.  It's a little tricky to find and I don't think I have ever seen anyone mention it, but I haven't read all the posts, yet ?

https://p15-d24.com/store/category/10-forum-donations/

54 minutes ago, Sniper said:

On that note, anyone is free to make a donation to help support the site as well.  It's a little tricky to find and I don't think I have ever seen anyone mention it, but I haven't read all the posts, yet ?

https://p15-d24.com/store/category/10-forum-donations/

not everyone posts their donations....like the above mentioned headlight deal, the man was kind enough to give me a headlight...he paid the postage....I in turn donated to the forum in his name..I only mention this as I do not think any of this would be found on open forum.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1