Throttle linkage

Mounted the intake/exhaust manifold back into my 1940 1/2 ton, and I’m connecting up the throttle linkage.

I bought a new throttle return spring from DCM to replace a badly stretched and obviously incorrect spring that was on the truck when I disassembled it.

The old spring hooked the loop of a large gate pin that goes through the upper steel floor plate.

Can someone post up a photo of the correct way the throttle return spring should be routed for me? I’ve been through the FSM but it doesn’t show any diagrams showing the throttle linkage.

Throttle spring goes straight back from the linkage to a cotter pin that goes through the angled part of the floor. Sent you a PM too

This is a video of a 1950 PH Truck......is it similar to the one I showed?

I've removed quite a few, the spring rate is similar to any return spring on a 2 or 4bbl Carb from the 70's.

Not on every truck, but a side spring to the inner splash shield is used as well.

1948-53 Return Spring

48D

When I first hooked up my spring I was a bit confused (as usual)  I was expecting the carburetor to be at idle with no spring.

Actually carb goes to WOT with no spring, the spring holds it at idle.

Could be bad news if driving and the spring breaks. While you are surprised, can you get the engine shut down and out of traffic safely before the engine is damaged?

While the 2nd spring going from the linkage to the inner fender, may not look sexy or clutters up the engine bay .... It is a nice insurance policy to have a backup spring in case 1 breaks.

Makes me wonder why some trucks had them but not all of them?

Any race motor or muscle car motor I've ever built, has had a double throttle spring for safety. Can't say I've ever seen that kind of set up on the rusty L6's I've tore apart. Will have to wander through the yard and poke around...lol.

48D