Camshaft Bearing clearances? More than manual?

Bryan

Was checking out my camshaft (again) against the new bearings I have.   Measuring all with .003 clearance, which is the max limit in the service manual.

The 53 Dodge camshaft measures exactly the same as the 48 Dodge engine camshaft measured.

1st - 1.9980",   2nd - 1.9660,   3rd - 1.9350   Rear - 1.248"    I would think if these camshafts were worn I'd be seeing different numbers between the two.

I oiled the first new bearing with gun oil, rubbed it thin with my finger and tried it on the first journal. Can't feel any play.

Anybody know if .003 in the book is like the ring gap clearances?  Book says one thing but in practice might be more?

How did you measure the clearance? If you measured the journals with a mic, and the same with the insides if the bearings, keep in mind that the bearings will compress slightly once installed. It would be more accurate to mic the bearings after installation, then calculate your clearance. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

How did you measure the clearance? If you measured the journals with a mic, and the same with the insides if the bearings, keep in mind that the bearings will compress slightly once installed. It would be more accurate to mic the bearings after installation, then calculate your clearance. 

I was just checking with the bearings on the table out of the box. Long way to installing.   Didn't know they compress.  Any kind of data on how much they change, installed vs uninstalled?  Thanks.