How to connect fuel pump to carburetor on 48 DeSoto?

MarcDeSoto

40 minutes ago, MarcDeSoto said:

OK, but on the filter, the IN side is 5/16 and the out side is 1/8 npt.  I'll check it out.  I thought the filter went up next to the carburetor.  

Good practice is to filter the gas before it goes into the pump.

IN on the filter connects to the fuel line from the tank, OUT (1/8" NPT) goes to IN on the pump (1/8" NPT), that's where you need the 1/8" NPT nipple.

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 1

I have a Walker 15021B carburetor rebuild kit and it comes with two needle and seat fittings. One is 1/8” npt and the other is inverted flare for a 1/2-20 thread, for a 5/16” hard line. A Carter or A/C fuel filter will screw on to the 1/8” fitting. I would not use your Zenith filter. I wouldn’t trust it to not leak. The bowl and clip just looks to iffy to me. The sediment bowl on the fuel pump, checked regularly would be a better option. A 1/8” npt pipe union and another 90 degree fitting would keep your fuel line away from the manifold and allow for easier bends on your hard line. I use 1/4” Teflon tape on all pipe fittings. Rick D.

• Like 1

The Parts Manual says the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carburetor is 24".  The 5/16 brake line that I am using comes in 20" and 30" lengths.  From what Rick said, I'm thinking of scrapping my Zenith fuel filter and splicing in a modern one between the fuel pump and the carburetor.  So I would use the 20" line and cut it in half.  I think the 30" length would be a bit too much line to have between the pump and the carburetor.  

From what I said was, you don’t need that chicken crap filter above a hot manifold. The best way to do it is hard line from the pump to the carburetor. You don’t need another filter. You just need the ability to make a 5/16 double flare on your tubing. Putting four more hose clamps doesn’t make sense to me, if you want a original stock look. Rick D.

That's my weakness.  I don't make decent flares.  The closest the store has to 24" line is 30" brake line.  Would an extra six inches be too much fuel line to be curving around in there?  Maybe a brake shop would flare the line for me for a small charge?

Edited by MarcDeSoto

I got the right fitting today for the fuel pump outlet.  I talked over my situation with an older NAPA guy.  He said the best configuration would be to take my fuel line and cut it in half.  Then install a NAPA metal fuel filter in the middle to connect the two lines.  Now I don't have to flare a line.  

That was your original plan in your very first post.

I personally don’t like any fuel filter close to the exhaust manifold. 

Did you check for your missing fuel line in the same location you found your missing oil pressure gauge line?

• Like 1

Since I don't have the original fuel filter, the Oilite filter, in the bottom of the fuel tank anymore, I think I need a fuel filter.  I will place it as far away from the exhaust manifold as possible.  Maybe under the manifold near the fuel pump would be better than close to the carburetor as heat rises.