Dash Gauge Cluster Lights - 1950 Dodge

Stargrinder

Hey gang ... I knew it was only a matter of time before the lights behind one or more of my gauge clusters would go out on my 1950 Dodge Coronet.  While driving last night my fuel/oil pressure cluster went dark on me.  I don't want to break anything so I would appreciate any advice anyone could offer on how to remove and replace the old bulb.   Plus there is not much space behind the dash to work. I am sure it is something relatively easy... I am probably over thinking it.  Looking at the resources page on this forum I  know I need to order a few #55 bulbs.

Thanks in advance for any guidance folks.

Coronet 8.JPG

Not certain, but I think this is what you will find.

Prongs around the outside of the socket.

The bulb sockets just go in by lining them up, and pushing them into the holes.

To remove for bulb change, grasp firmly, and tilt the socket to one side to release.

I sometimes let my camera do the looking in the tight spots.

DSCF2600.JPG

DSCF2599.JPG

• Like 1

Cool... this is extremely helpful.  Looks similar to what I saw when I shined a flashlight in the back of my dash.  What I did not want to do was pull on something that should be twisted and break something.  It is not like I can go to the local auto zone to find a replacement.

There are no dumb questions, just dumb mistakes due to not asking questions. Now you know how and can pass on that info if needed. 

Thanks for the update of the successful replacement. A lot of times original posters don’t show appreciation or provide follow up. 

Stargrinder:

Glad you were able to replace your bulb.....IMO, the biggest risk is disturbing the brittle wiring, which can crack off (if original).   You may want to check the wiring after a while to see if road vibration may have shaken loose some of the insulation, exposing bare wire. If so, you can do small touch ups with a few layers of Plasti-Dip and a brush.