Anyone ever put the nose off a 46-48 DeSoto on a 46-48 Chrysler

thebelvedereman

23 hours ago, Los_Control said:

I will only add that these swaps have been done for decades with custom cars.

Not necessarily Desoto to Chrysler .... Real common custom car swap is a car front end mounted to a truck.

Been done at least since the 50's.

I'm with you all the way, if you can do it reasonably priced to make it work ... GO FOR IT!

As you say it already has been swapped onto a Chubby truck frame .... Not a bad thing in my opinion.

My only opinion is to

1, Enjoy the process .... if you are not having fun maybe try gardening.

2, Make it safe to drive. With the frame swap we are talking sbc motor, transmission auto / manual of your choice ... Disk brakes improved suspension. .... Just make sure everything is done correctly, safely.

This actually could be a beater with a heater, you can jump in it and drive it anywhere ... May be the most fun & cheapest car you own to drive.

I'm with you 100%  just have fun & make it safe ..... Naturally pics & updates are mandatory .... we love pics  ;)

Mechanically it's already completely finished, it's on a 1990 Chevy 2wd truck chassis, has a new wiring harness, disc brakes, dual exhaust, all the lights work, tilt column from the Chevy, power steering power brakes, it was driven like this for quite a while, the main body is in good condition from what I've seen, although the car hasn't been delivered yet, just the front fenders are shot, yes I could fabricate a bunch of metal and put what's left of the fenders back together, but I was thinking it would just be easier to swap the nose with a DeSoto, since I like the way the DeSoto nose looks a whole lot better, and they're exactly the same wheelbase, so I'm guessing it will work, all Mopar sheet metal bolts on exactly the same way, even though they look different

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Los_Control said:

I will only add that these swaps have been done for decades with custom cars.

Not necessarily Desoto to Chrysler .... Real common custom car swap is a car front end mounted to a truck.

Been done at least since the 50's.

I'm with you all the way, if you can do it reasonably priced to make it work ... GO FOR IT!

As you say it already has been swapped onto a Chubby truck frame .... Not a bad thing in my opinion.

My only opinion is to

1, Enjoy the process .... if you are not having fun maybe try gardening.

2, Make it safe to drive. With the frame swap we are talking sbc motor, transmission auto / manual of your choice ... Disk brakes improved suspension. .... Just make sure everything is done correctly, safely.

This actually could be a beater with a heater, you can jump in it and drive it anywhere ... May be the most fun & cheapest car you own to drive.

I'm with you 100%  just have fun & make it safe ..... Naturally pics & updates are mandatory .... we love pics  ;)

The only thing that I'm going to be updating mechanically, is they never found a way to mount the front bumper, and it currently has a fuel cell in the trunk with no fuel gauge, I plan to put some type of aftermarket fuel tank back underneath where it belongs, it looks like an original 46-48 Mopar tank we'll still mount in the original location from the pictures I've seen of underneath the car it looks like there's plenty of room, it just needs body work, paint and the interior completely redone, I'm going to do the interior with the same basic idea of what I did in my 1948 Dodge, it's never going to be an all original Museum car, so I'm just going to have a little fun with the interior, but I think I'm going to use green and white flannel this time, because I plan on painting the car aqua, like my 39 Plymouth Business Coupe

Resized_20220512_180808.jpeg

• Like 1

First thing to do is check over the other guys work, make sure it is safe. You have not looked at it yet ... I'm not doubting their work .... just suggesting to take a good look at it.

I really like the flannel cloth idea. I have been Watching DD speed shop And the 55 chubby they took to the power tour this year.

They used a red & white checkered vinyl  .... looks like a table cloth at a picnic .... I love it because it was cheap and they did it themselves.

I really like your idea with flannel better, is cloth & easier to work with.

I remember back in 1987, it was kinda Kool to jack up my 1969 mustang fastback with air shocks & L60-15 tires.

Just suggesting your Chrysler on the Chubby frame seems to have her rear end up in the air .... Not suggesting it is a bad thing, just something I might look at with options to lower it.

I really have to add the 48-50 truck front end was the best ever made. You do you and have fun doing it.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

First thing to do is check over the other guys work, make sure it is safe. You have not looked at it yet ... I'm not doubting their work .... just suggesting to take a good look at it.

I really like the flannel cloth idea. I have been Watching DD speed shop And the 55 chubby they took to the power tour this year.

They used a red & white checkered vinyl  .... looks like a table cloth at a picnic .... I love it because it was cheap and they did it themselves.

I remember back in 1987, it was kinda Kool to jack up my 1969 mustang fastback with air shocks & L60-15 tires.

Just suggesting your Chrysler on the Chubby frame seems to have her rear end up in the air .... Not suggesting it is a bad thing, just something I might look at with options to lower it.

I really have to add the 48-50 truck front end was the best ever made. You do you and have fun doing it.

Yes I plan on going over everything with a fine-tooth comb, no I've never seen the car in person, it was too far away, but the owner sent me very detailed videos, and pictures, I seem to never learn in that department, this is like the fifth car that I've bought in the past two years without seeing it, and I got really badly screwed on three of them LOL, the flannel material was actually really easy to work with, I made my own backer boards for the door panels, the deck panel, and the kick panels, on the back doors I even took the time to make the holes and put the original push in clips in, then I just used that 77 spray glue to put the flannel on, it was a big pain in the butt to try and get it exactly straight, as you can see in the pictures most of them are far from straight lol, the hardest one to do was the seat frame, that took a lot of gluing, peeling off, and regluing, I was so frustrated that the rear doors took so long to get the Clips in the exact right location, that on the front doors and the kick panels I just used chrome screws and screwed them right to the metal

31 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

As far as the rear end being so high in the air, yes I noticed that too, in the video I could see it has a pair of heavy duty coil over shocks on the back, I'm hoping that if I remove them and put some regular shocks on it, that the rear end will settle down

4 hours ago, thebelvedereman said:

The only thing that I'm going to be updating mechanically, is they never found a way to mount the front bumper, and it currently has a fuel cell in the trunk with no fuel gauge, I plan to put some type of aftermarket fuel tank back underneath where it belongs, it looks like an original 46-48 Mopar tank we'll still mount in the original location from the pictures I've seen of underneath the car it looks like there's plenty of room, it just needs body work, paint and the interior completely redone, I'm going to do the interior with the same basic idea of what I did in my 1948 Dodge, it's never going to be an all original Museum car, so I'm just going to have a little fun with the interior, but I think I'm going to use green and white flannel this time, because I plan on painting the car aqua, like my 39 Plymouth Business Coupe

Resized_20220512_180808.jpeg

I'm digging this car a lot. If I had space, I'd definitely pick up one of these clapped out 4 door sedans and have some fun with it. Keep us updated!

• Like 1

Hey.Belvedereguy.....lol..........I like the models.....I build plastic kits........heres a couple of pics of some of them....and a pic of the Tower of Empty Model Kit Boxes..this is an old pic taken about 12 months ago.....I've built over 90 kits in the past 3yrs, this is just some of them......I have another 300 car kits and 110 plane kits to go..........lol......my wife hopes I'll grow out of it.... and also a pic of the hobby shop I had for 20 yrs........BTW what brand & scale is that 48 Chrysler Windsor?...........regards, andyd

P1010637.JPG

P1010639.JPG

DodgeShop.jpg

1 hour ago, andyd said:

Hey.Belvedereguy.....lol..........I like the models.....I build plastic kits........heres a couple of pics of some of them....and a pic of the Tower of Empty Model Kit Boxes..this is an old pic taken about 12 months ago.....I've built over 90 kits in the past 3yrs, this is just some of them......I have another 300 car kits and 110 plane kits to go..........lol......my wife hopes I'll grow out of it.... and also a pic of the hobby shop I had for 20 yrs........BTW what brand & scale is that 48 Chrysler Windsor?...........regards, andyd

P1010637.JPG

P1010639.JPG

DodgeShop.jpg

I've built plastic models my whole life too, I have no idea how many I've built, I do still have quite a few of them, all Mopars of course,  I built a few Chevys and Fords too but I always used them for target practice, and blew them up with m-80s and homemade fireworks LOL, the Chrysler is 1/43 scale, I'm not sure who made it, I will look tomorrow, I got it off of eBay, I just put Chrysler Windsor diecast in the search engine and it came up, I think they had a few other colors too