Anyone ever put the nose off a 46-48 DeSoto on a 46-48 Chrysler

thebelvedereman

I just acquired a 1948 Chrysler 4 door in a deal I couldn't refuse, the front fenders are pretty Rusty, and God is the nose ugly on these cars lol, the nose is much longer than my Dodge, or my Plymouth, but I'm pretty sure that it's the same length as a DeSoto, and I really like the DeSoto Grill

Screenshot_20220605-195715_Facebook.jpg

• Haha 1

Guess my cars are god awful ugly? 

I personally like the 46-48 Chrysler front end but we all have our choices of beauty, lol...........I'd think that the front end from a DeSoto would fit although the wheelbase from the front edge of the door forward would be the defining thing, I'd think the basic frame and inner panels could be swapped around but I'm only guessing here as I have no direct experience between the two makes except owning a 48 Chrysler 45 yrs ago.....lol.......best idea would be to physically compare the two and go from there.........andyd

4 hours ago, thebelvedereman said:

I'm thinking about just trying to adapt the grill from a 1946 – 1948 DeSoto if I can find one, or even a 1942 DeSoto, it looks like it would be a closer fit

I think you're gonna have a tough time finding an entire 46-8 DeSoto grill that isn't somewhere between a cratered, pitted mess, and looking like an abused aluminum sauce pan. I know I have. 

Edited by ratbailey

You talking about some of the most sought after grills for all brands (even to this day)  - for customizers  for many customs?   The one with the big many toothed chrome grill?

Sorry if I am off base with this as I do not remember the Popular years for this. Right or wrong?

If so the $$$$ is going to kill this idea I think!!!

DJ

56 minutes ago, ratbailey said:

I think you're gonna have a tough time finding an entire 46-8 DeSoto grill that isn't somewhere between a cratered, pitted mess, and looking like an abused aluminum sauce pan. I know I have. 

There's a whole bunch of different parts on eBay, I just did a quick look but I saw a center section, A left section, and a right section all from different sellers, if I can't find the whole one I'll just buy a bunch of parts LOL

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

You talking about some of the most sought after grills for all brands (even to this day)  - for customizers  for many customs?   The one with the big many toothed chrome grill?

Sorry if I am off base with this as I do not remember the Popular years for this. Right or wrong?

DJ

The ones with the big giant teeth that people use in 57 Chevys, custom cars and stuff like that is actually 1950– 1953 DeSoto grills, the earlier ones are big and Chrome, but there are a lot flatter than the Big Tooth Style

25 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

DJ

This is the one I'm looking for

Screenshot_20220614-212448_Samsung Internet.jpg

I own a 48 DeSoto business coupe, and I like the looks of my car, but I wouldn't disagree with some people who might call it too gaudy with too much chrome.  Customizers almost never choose the 46-48 grilles for their hot rods.  They prefer the 51-52 DeSotos.  Personally, I always loved the 46-48 Chrysler grilles.  Some call the grilles on the late 40s cars eggcrate style.  I always thought of the Chryslers as having a harmonica grille with all those fine rectangles.  Changing the front end of your Chrysler would be like making it into a Frankencar.  It's in such bad taste, I can't believe you want to do it.  If you like the DeSoto grille, sell the Chrysler and buy a DeSoto.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

I own a 48 DeSoto business coupe, and I like the looks of my car, but I wouldn't disagree with some people who might call it too gaudy with too much chrome.  Customizers almost never choose the 46-48 grilles for their hot rods.  They prefer the 51-52 DeSotos.  Personally, I always loved the 46-48 Chrysler grilles.  Some call the grilles on the late 40s cars eggcrate style.  I always thought of the Chryslers as having a harmonica grille with all those fine rectangles.  Changing the front end of your Chrysler would be like making it into a Frankencar.  It's in such bad taste, I can't believe you want to do it.  If you like the DeSoto grille, sell the Chrysler and buy a DeSoto.  

The car is already a Franken car, the previous owner removed the frame and drivetrain and mounted it on a Chevy C10 pickup frame and drivetrain, the front fenders are completely shot and loaded with cracked and broken Bondo, I was simply asking if anyone had put a DeSoto nose on a Chrysler, not asking what you think my taste should be

I think that there are two basic models of Chrysler of that era. 

Is it the New Yorker that has the eight-cylinder engine, and longer hood and fenders? 

The other models have the same 6-cylinder block as the DeSotos, and I suppose similar hood and fenders. 

Silly question, perhaps, but I don't know.  What is the 46-48 DeSoto grill made of?  Chromed pot-metal, chromed steel, stainless steel?  What they're made of comes into play for how well / poorly they age, and then potential availability / cost.  I've seen many, but have never really looked close enough at one to tell.

3 hours ago, Dan Hiebert said:

Silly question, perhaps, but I don't know.  What is the 46-48 DeSoto grill made of?  Chromed pot-metal, chromed steel, stainless steel?  What they're made of comes into play for how well / poorly they age, and then potential availability / cost.  I've seen many, but have never really looked close enough at one to tell.

Chromed pot metal. They're made in 4 sections, I've got a few of each, in conditions ranging from yuck to meh. They all seem to be fairly brittle, don't take a hit well, and have craters lurking under the plating. If I were building a frankenrod, I'd probably get the cheapest, ugliest grill I could find, sand it down, fill the pockmarks with bondo and paint it. 

• Like 1

Maybe he has a Chevy he plans to dress up.??

DJ?

• Haha 1

I will only add that these swaps have been done for decades with custom cars.

Not necessarily Desoto to Chrysler .... Real common custom car swap is a car front end mounted to a truck.

Been done at least since the 50's.

I'm with you all the way, if you can do it reasonably priced to make it work ... GO FOR IT!

As you say it already has been swapped onto a Chubby truck frame .... Not a bad thing in my opinion.

My only opinion is to

1, Enjoy the process .... if you are not having fun maybe try gardening.

2, Make it safe to drive. With the frame swap we are talking sbc motor, transmission auto / manual of your choice ... Disk brakes improved suspension. .... Just make sure everything is done correctly, safely.

This actually could be a beater with a heater, you can jump in it and drive it anywhere ... May be the most fun & cheapest car you own to drive.

I'm with you 100%  just have fun & make it safe ..... Naturally pics & updates are mandatory .... we love pics  ;)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Boody said:

Didn't want to see the whole car go to waste. Next project is getting the dash to light up.

20220430_120751.jpg

Can you measure the OD of the speedometer? I've been slowly working on putting 53 dodge car gauges in a 47 truck and maybe these would be a better fit