Headed to the National Desoto Convention Car Show - Altoona PA 6/15-19

desoto1939

Well on Wednesday i will be driving my 39 Desoto out to Altoona, PA to attend the National Desoto Convention and car show.  I will be also meeting up with my good friend that also has a 39 Desoto  and we are going to go as a caravan.  We will have modern Chase cars. He just had a top-end rebuild on his 39 over the winter months and has been driving the car to break n the 6 new cylinders.  We plan on traveling around 50 MPH

Both of our cars are 4 door sedan and we do not have overdrive so 50 is our sweet spot for our cars.  Hope to get around 12 mpg but will get what we get. The gas price onthe PA turnpike is averaging around $5.25. We decided the PA Turnpike is our best route since it is a two lane road and has service plazas approx every 30-50 miles apart, also has large shoulders.  We are going to meetup at a reststop that is located near Carlise,PA.   The turnpike gets less traffic after the Harrisburg and Carlise area so we can travel safely on the right lane.

We figure approx 5 hours travel time approx distance is 225 miles.  Will post pictures of the convention and car show. They have 60 cars registered for the car show.  I will be presenting two seminars during  the week, the topics are headlights and lens from 1929-61 and also on presentation on the factory Miller tools which will highlight the Miller MT19 Brake shoe Adjusting tool and then the Trubrake tool that was used to trim down the high spot on each brakeshoe lining.

Wish us luck for both trips.  So if anyone is in the area of Altoona,PA this week come checkout the Convention it is held at the Grand Hotel in Altoona jus off of Exit 31 on I99.

Rich HArtung

• Like 1

Take a good cooler and plenty of water.   We went on a trip a while back in our Corolla.  325 miles that was supposed to take 5 hrs according to Google maps took us 7 hrs with breaks. Good luck and have a safe trip.

Have fun. I keep asking the club to have the convention in September so that if we wanted to drive across the USA from California we would not be doing it in the summer heat. They keep insisting that they have to do it in the summer as kids are off school, but the two conventions I have attended you could count the kids with one hand.

Enjoy the drive and the convention. I look forward to reading and see the photos of the meet.

James

Just got back home fromt he NDC convention. Drove a total of 535 mile including in that mileage was also some of the driving tours.  Went to the Flight 93 Crash site, a very humble experience. The National Park service did a presentation for us. I learned that just before the plane crashed  the high jackers fliped the plane upside down so that the passengers could not get to them and the plane crashed nose first.  The passengers all voted to try to take control of the plane. was able to listen to several of the phone calls that the passengers made back to their familes.  This part of the tour put tears in everyone eyes.  I will post some pitcure.

Friday we did a driving tour to the Swaggert Car museum saw some real nice cars.

Sat was the car show had 56 car on the show field.  We had 3 1939 Desotos in the prewar class and all three took home trophies of 1,2 and 3rd.  I was awarded a 3rd place.

We drove out to Altoon a via the Pa Turnpike from Valley Forge to Bedford and then up I99 to Altoona. I did the calculation and we average around 14 MPG  not bad for an  83 year old car and climbing several steep inclines.

Some of the older cars including the cars into the 1950 were experiencing bad vapor lock issues. along with some parking lot tuneups and adjustments. I alwasy primed my carb via my electric fuel pump prior to always starting.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

I will post pictures from the convention

• Like 1

I was driving between 50-53 MPH on the average. I was fluctuating between 45-55 just to give the engine a change in speed and RPM's. We had anticipated to average around 50 mph, that is the sweet spot for my car my friend who also has a 39 Desoto just had new pistons put into his car and he was running around 55-60 and closer to 60.  He was getting blue smoke out the tailpipe when letting off the accelerator and we think the oil might be from the valve guides.

I average around 14-15 MPG. The old girl just turned the 100K mark as we left to attend the convention. She ran very well and i gave her a big kiss when we got home and thanked her for her service and making the entire round trip. Have to show some loe and affection to these old gals. They apprecite the love also gave my wife a big thanks and hug for going along with being the chase vehicle and putting up with my hobby. The wives are our backbone and also need to get recognized.

Since he only had around 200 new  miles of the pistons I suggested that he pull back on his speed because of the oil issue. He did not lose any oil pressure. I just thought that since he had new pistons and these were the Standard size piston that let the car breakin on a more steady speed instead of pushing the engine, but it was his car. When going down hill there was a great deal of blue smoke and you could really smell the oil buring when you were even 30 feet behind the car.  i do know that he got home back to the Baltimore area without and other issue just the blue smoke.

After getting the pictures sent to my email I will post some pictures of the tour of Flight 93 and the car Show.

Rich Hartung

flight 93 4.JPG

flight 93 8.JPG

flight 93 5.JPG

Horeshoe curve 1.JPG

class 1 1.JPG

class 1 2.JPG

class 1 3.JPG

class 1 4.JPG

class 1 5.JPG

class 1 6.JPG

class 1 7.JPG