I’m sick if I want another one?

Rodney_Hamon

Ok. Just got back to Albuquerque area from Milwaukee area after a month of hard work and what do I see in the Santa Fe CL ?  A barn find 1940 Plymouth pick up. PT105 ?   $8200 and seller says it is complete and with title.  And I want it. And I don’t need it. And it looks very all there. My ‘36 already consumes me.  Just wish someone would buy it and take me out of my misery. My P-23 waits for me begging for attention. Ha.  BTW, it’s in Ruidoso 2.5 hrs southeast of Albuquerque.  It must be the hunt is more fun than the conquest or is it there are hunters and then there are gatherers.  

• Like 1

...and there’s also a ‘46 Plymouth special deluxe coupe for sale that I can’t shake outta my head in the Santa Fe CL. Who wouldn’t like a 2dr ?  I’m deluded.  I think I’ll go into the 100 degree plus garage and noodle on my ‘36 and sweat it outta me.  

Disease indeed. I finally texted the owner this am to find out he replaced the rear end and was dropping a 350 into it. I said thanks for the info and he replied np. Done. I would have coveted that truck as an original survivor. I would have relished driving it at 49 mph on the right side of the road letting people pass me. Oh well.  I’m outta my misery now and now my wife won’t yell at me for wanting another vehicle that we don’t need or me dipping into my retirement when I shouldn’t in these unstable times after price negotiation. I can brood a little in the hot garage now on how an idiot purged an original survivor and noodle on my lovely faithful ‘36

@Rodney_Hamon A quick cure would be to use a carburated tow vehicle to go to Santa Fe to pick it up.

By the time you left Albuquerque for Santa Fe  .... By the time you get there, you would have 6 out of 8 spark plugs fouled from the altitude change.

You simply would just avoid picking up cars in Santa Fe  :)

You did a good job of resisting the temptation;  many have succumbed. They only thing holding me back from getting more and more "toys" is the problem of enough garage space. Even that has a work-around, if you're motivated enough. Over the past few years, I've had THREE garages built, all three bays each, but, I'd squeeze in four cars, and then one by one, w/o any prior intent to do so, SOLD the garages (along w/the house on the property), and found myself starting over again. It is a disease. 

Dreaming that we have the time, space, Money, Energy to work on cars until your final days  ? helps to keep motivated to keep moving even when it is unrealistic to do so, But it does help to Dream. Dream !!  ?  Keep it up!

DJ

• Like 1

Actually Los Control’s solution is the best. Better yet, crack the little bracket that holds dn the distributer so it won’t stay timed. That’ll keep me home. Actually the stock market just told me my retirement savings should not be Tampered With for the time being.  I’m happy with what I gots

@Rodney_Hamon Follow me for more great tips .... I found draining the oil out of the wife car before a shopping trip, she very happy you buy new tools to fix it with.

Just saying with a 1987 Ford E350 I could get close to Santa Fe, & by the time I did I was hoping I could just limp back to Albuquerque.

For years I worked in town . Just going up to the foot hills of the Sandias my van would run like crap.

A lot of people talk about Denver Colorado & their mile high city, they do not count all the other cities that are higher then 1 mile.

Albuquerque is one ... Santa Fe is another.

By the time you climb from ABQ to SANTA FE, you will be lucky if your carburated car will run.

Labajada Hill on I-25 just south of Santa Fe is a killer. Tijeras Canyon heading east outta ABQ kills more semi’s and U haul trucks.    Drunken sailors and possessed mopar gatherers is a good analogy.  ...and trying to get your R-10 functioning after sitting 36 years will make you forget about buying/saving any more projects.  I’m just now diving into this.  At the reading stage and then cleaning /testing 

I can only say the medication must be working as although I do have two Plymouths(1952 and 1980) I find that I appreciate other cars and see many I would like to have the burning desire I once had for changing cars has flamed out.  I guess it is a combination of lowered income, old age aches and pains, and a general lessening of the desire to start to completely redo a car again.  I just seem to be happy driving them when I can and doing what work on them my body allows.

First time I ever drove thru Albuquerque was in Dec 84 in my 74 Dart.  Headed to San Diego, eventually.  I ended up taking US 60 to Phoenix, at night.  Spent the night in the mountains at a closed gas station, waiting for it to open.  Miserable cold that night.

I don't remember it being an issue, every time since was in an EFI car though.

Going south of abq dn I-25 to Socorro and then west on 60 to Phoenix is awesomeness. You pass the VLA past Magdalena and go thru awesome ruggedness to the east industrial side of old Phoenix.  Datil has the best burger just west of Magdalena.  Another Los Control method of not snooping to buy another...just keep the gas tank empty. Ouch. Gas is inching up to 5 bucks a gallon here.  

• Like 1

Agreed Plymouthcranbrook. I’m 67 and still have my high school 64 1/2 mustang that is very nice with fairly low miles. Also have the wife’s ‘89 BMW IX which is a classic and still awesome to drive.  Throw in the GMC truck and Suburu and I’m fricken complete. Could only have pulled off the last two vehicles with my inheritance as an only child.  I’m happy with what I gots.  I’m sentimental attached to my mustang and dodge truck from high school time...but won’t request to be buried eventually in one of em.     Ha.      Wait..... I did rescue that P-23 and have nooo regrets getting it away from a guy who didn’t understand mopar 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2022 at 10:23 PM, Rodney_Hamon said:

Going south of abq dn I-25 to Socorro and then west on 60 to Phoenix is awesomeness. You pass the VLA past Magdalena and go thru awesome ruggedness to the east industrial side of old Phoenix.  Datil has the best burger just west of Magdalena.  Another Los Control method of not snooping to buy another...just keep the gas tank empty. Ouch. Gas is inching up to 5 bucks a gallon here.  

My Dad's stomping grounds in NM.  My younger brother was a police officer in Socorro for a while.  Been out there on US 60 in both directions a few times and agree as to the awesomeness...and the quality of the burgers at that corner joint in Datil, although it's been many years since I've had one, probably different ownership since.  

That affliction must be contagious over the internet...our daughter lives just outside Ruidoso...we're going down there next month...we're already taking a car trailer...I don't need another old vehicle...but been half a** looking for an old pickup (with the wife's blessing, sorta)...I'd fancy a Plymouth PU...etc...etc.  It would indeed be an appropriate antidote for someone to buy that before I start poking around.

I laughed and was half envious of Dan taking the car trailer...Just in case...life can be good.  I see that Plymouth truck is still on Riudiso CL.  Btw, there was a 4dr looks to be ‘51 ish Plymouth car sitting in the field next to the fire station in Capitan not far from Ruidoso.  Glass is gone as I remember and last time I saw it was my daughter’s softball tournament in ‘18.  Might still be there !  (I’ll kick myself if it has an R-10 in it..ha) Still that ‘46 2 dr in Santa Fe .... tease...teaser.   I don’t do social media so don’t know about Facebook adds and I don’t look at eBay either.     

2 hours ago, Rodney_Hamon said:

I laughed and was half envious of Dan taking the car trailer...Just in case...life can be good.  I see that Plymouth truck is still on Riudiso CL.  Btw, there was a 4dr looks to be ‘51 ish Plymouth car sitting in the field next to the fire station in Capitan not far from Ruidoso.  Glass is gone as I remember and last time I saw it was my daughter’s softball tournament in ‘18.  Might still be there !  (I’ll kick myself if it has an R-10 in it..ha) Still that ‘46 2 dr in Santa Fe .... tease...teaser.   I don’t do social media so don’t know about Facebook adds and I don’t look at eBay either.     

I remember that Plymouth in Capitan, it was still there last April.  Rough enough shape that I didn't stop to look at it closer, although if it were up here it would be considered to be in pretty good condition.  Our Daughter lives between Capitan and Ruidoso, her zip code is Capitan.

On 6/23/2022 at 11:35 AM, OUTFXD said:

Buy a car.jpg

Lol, reminds me of when I got married.  I was in Millington, TN going to radar school when I met my wife.  I had transferred off that destroyer in San Diego and was headed back to San Diego when school was done.  So I only had my 64 300 with me.  We met, ended up getting married and she ended up having her orders changed to go to San Diego once she finished her schools.  Once she got to San Diego I was like "great, now we can go get my cars".  She was like "Cars?".  At the time I had, in addition to my 300, a 40 Chrysler, a 72 Dart, a 73 Challenger and an 86 Daytona all tucked away in various places.  All running, all driveable, all licensed.

She knew I was a gear head, but had no real idea what that meant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Love it. Amazing that we “I spy an old car” and it’s still in the field...all lonely by itself. Poor thing. Needs to be adopted. I was going to stop into the fire station and ask about it after seeing it a third time.  Body seemed straight will all it’s chrome. Just no glass.  Same color as my P-23.  I have no trailer. I’m “pulling a Los Control” and not buying a trailer...just for this very reason. Ha. Sniper’s situation was funny also. Before I got married I took my girlfriend then-wife now to my grandmother’s house where my dodge truck was stored. Got it started and we drove around the block with no brakes. No e brake either. It was a small town with level streets.  Truck never started again after putting it back in the garage.  Wife knew then I liked to wrench.   

I know we are bit infected with our old Mopars.Today I drove 2.5 hrs each way to go the the largest car show in my region. Walked around and never saw 1 old flathead era Mopar. I thought I saw a couple trucks.  Nope hopped-up V8’s and such. Not sure I recall seeing more than 1 stock old vehicle. It was a 70’s VW.  I guess I should have entered one of my old cars. Very good chance I’d have won “Survivor” category at least. Lol. I’ve pretty-well lost interest in all the hot rods and muscle cars. There’s just so many around. Saturated market it seems. 

I guess I am sick. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 2