Ok....I blame this one on 48Dodger

Here I was all ready to install the clevis and pin on the end of the parking brake cable and I happen to run across 48Dodger's video on the dash parking brake configuration.  So guess what, in his video he shows a clevis that is NOT like the clevis I have for my truck!  What?!!!

My clevis:

20220607_190915x.jpg.c16787ec51be8eb9e102114f13774a6f.jpg

48Dodger's clevis:

605793435_Parkingbrakespecialclevis.JPG.af647e268597209de89c34e0d7e33e5a.JPG

Parts manual matches 48Dodger's:

2018325153_Parkingbrakespecialclevis1.JPG.a79f26786fe29e82a35b60a441ea8125.JPG

As the saying goes, one of these is not like the others :(

When I got my truck it didn't have the cable but I managed to source a nice one complete with clevis and clips from Larry Frank.  Needless to say I was a little bummed that my clevis is wrong.   My first thought was someone for some reason replaced the original clevis with the one I have now.  

After thinking about it for a bit I decided to get the part number from the manual and see what google could come up with.  Well whadda ya know, looking deeper into the parts manual there are TWO part numbers for the clevis.  The B2 is 1266-643.  The B3 is 1272-600.  Already I'm feeling better :)

My guess is for whatever reason Dodge eliminated the hole for the return spring in the clevis.  More than likely because it was cheaper to make.

Now that the stars have realigned and my heart rate is back under control I'm ready to get back to working on the truck :D

• Like 1

I would want a pull back spring regardless of book part#'s.

Just because of wanting to be sure the brake band and linkage will be fully released.? 

• Like 1

I'll get you the right one.....send me a PM with your addy and I'll send it free of charge.....most likely it'll be the one in the video.

Oh....hope you liked and subscribed to my channel...lol

48D

Edited by 48Dodger

do like so many other makers do with a common clevis and spring combination....let the spring not only act as a spring but let it also be the retainer for the clevis pin...(lose the cotter pin)...I do recommend a washer between spring and clevis if you do it in this fashion....

added....I have in many places seen the tear-drop added where the tear drop is the washer spring hook combination.....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

3 hours ago, 48Dodger said:

I'll get you the right one.....send me a PM with your addy and send it free of charge.....most likely it'll be the one in the video.

Oh....hope you liked and subscribed my channel...lol

48D

48D,

Prior to watching your video yesterday it didn't even cross my mind that there might be an issue with connecting or fitting a return spring.  I found it interesting where you pointed out the differences in the frame crossmember, that's one of those details that a person would never notice until it's pointed out an then you're thinking HOW did I miss something like that!! 

Something you didn't mention in your video and something I couldn't find in the parts manual was the small L-bracket that was bolted to my cross member.  You can just make out the bracket in the pictures below.  I'll try and get a better shot this evening.

20220306_122152x.jpg.e48ac5c0ed35998fea8a614b43d703f5.jpg

20191104_180443.jpg.3723032a150f1d1a1a77392ea4cc8b7f.jpg

The bracket has a hole in it that would be appropriate for a spring or spring extension.  Also, it was bolted in place with the same style of bolt used throughout the truck but I have no idea if it was original or not.  The parts list does mention a bracket 4-19-5 (4-speed), part # 1272 996 that was listed for B3 and B4 models,  My truck was originally a 3-speed so I would not think the bracket in the pictures above is the one in the parts book.  I don't recall any other holes in the crossmember where a spring would attach to.  Again, I'll look this evening.

So after all this I'm now trying to figure out how Dodge would have attached the spring to the clevis assuming the clevis didn't have the extra hole as shown in your video.  Plymouthy may have the answer in not using the cotter pin and instead using the spring to keep the pin installed.  That's an interesting approach I had not heard of before but it sorta makes sense.  I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to hook the spring just anywhere on the clevis or lever arm.  I won't say this is one of those subjects that keep me up at night but it does have me wondering.... ?

Tim, PM has been sent......

Thanks!

Brad

• Like 1

By B2C has the extra hole in the clevis for the spring, along with a hole in the cross member for the other end of the spring. Maybe the later models put an extra hole into the arm for the spring instead of making that asymmetric clevis. Someone with a B3 or B4 model may be able to offer a picture of their setup for confirmation. 

Not the greatest pictures, but you can see how I improvised the spring connections for a spring I had available. It works fine. 

P1161575.JPG.4df6c76fc60ee41c8c0e3c0cb0655ed2.JPG

P1161572.JPG.c627774d49f693b536a3fb7543d99147.JPG

4 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

By B2C has the extra hole in the clevis for the spring, along with a hole in the cross member for the other end of the spring. Maybe the later models put an extra hole into the arm for the spring instead of making that asymmetric clevis. Someone with a B3 or B4 model may be able to offer a picture of their setup for confirmation. 

Not the greatest pictures, but you can see how I improvised the spring connections for a spring I had available. It works fine. 

P1161575.JPG.4df6c76fc60ee41c8c0e3c0cb0655ed2.JPG

P1161572.JPG.c627774d49f693b536a3fb7543d99147.JPG

That's a nice clean way to attach the spring to the frame.  Also I now have a good idea on what size spring to be looking for :)

I just checked the lever arm and no extra holes.

9 hours ago, JBNeal said:

B-4 has a lower cost arrangement:  redesigned frame crossmember with hole for hooking spring extension; spring takes place of cotter pin at clevis

large.sm20210922_144649.jpg.e058c24c7a4cdaf5a2ff95dcef546085.jpg

JB, thanks for the photo.  It's interesting how many subtle changes there are between the B2, B3 and B4 models.  I wonder why the frame member was redesigned. 

It looks like Plymouthy's comment about replacing the cotter pin with the spring might be what Dodge did.

41 minutes ago, bkahler said:

It looks like Plymouthy's comment about replacing the cotter pin with the spring might be what Dodge did.

There are many ways to skin a cat and often none of them are wrong....mostly it is the concept of different/new that we need to get our head around.  Did you grasp the tear drop reference?  Not an artist but the concept of the tear drop hook..

IMG_4750.JPG

• Like 1

On the theme of cats, if you take a cat from the US that has already lost 7 of it's 9 lives, to Spain or other Spanish speaking countries, will the cat die as soon as it hits the ground there?  (I was recently informed that cats only have 7 lives in England, and in some other countries, so now I'm really curious......)

to me, that would be the most worthwhile experiment of the new century.....JUST....do not allow the cats to return to the US if they survive the landing in the new country you testing the theory.  In truth I do not have issues with cats or responsible cat owners.  I have issue with cat owners who allow their cats to run loose, (go feral if you will) no vaccinations and not spayed etc.  Between three houses in the general neighborhood I counted 35 cats....and this was just those easily and readily seen in the few minutes I walked down the street.  Even if they get hit by a car....the owners pick them up form the road...no....!!! it is other caring citizens that does this.

A friend of mine told me that when he moved in his fathers house after years being away from residing there,   there was as problem with feral and neighborhood cats everywhere in the back yard.  Loudly doing their thing at night.

So for nightly entertainment?  a pellet gun and problem solving -he started a new garden in the back yard and began planting catstails there.  ?

My apologies to the cat lovers. NOT my thing, just story telling.

DJ

Edited by DJ194950

3 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

A friend of mine told me that when he moved in his fathers house after years being away from residing there,   there was as problem with feral and neighborhood cats everywhere in the back yard.  Loudly doing their thing at night.

So for nightly entertainment?  a pellet gun and problem solving -he started a new garden in the back yard and began planting catstails there.  ?

My apologies to the cat lovers. NOT my thing, just story telling.

DJ

Well, my wife had an uncle who shot every cat he ever saw come onto his property.  (I only ever shot one cat, and I have no idea whose it was, maybe wild.  It was a tom cat, and while I was not fond of any cats once they grew up, I didn't like that this tom cat was killing all of the kittens.)

I also don't like it that cats are allowed to roam free, and dogs must be kept tied up.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 7:48 AM, bkahler said:

JB, thanks for the photo.  It's interesting how many subtle changes there are between the B2, B3 and B4 models.  I wonder why the frame member was redesigned. ...

My guess is that the B4 crossmember was cheaper to form than previous iterations, as well as providing a parallel flange to the rearward crossmember for the redesigned fuel tank, which eliminated a mounting bracket.