D24 Engine W/ Cracked Block - Part out or Can be Welded?

Hello All,

I make myself busy rebuilding old engines.

This time I got a D24 Engine and started with the tear down.

Upon inspection of the block I found (under the gack and dirt) that the block has quite the large crack.

Has anyone attempted to cut out and weld in a patch for the block?

Crack is located at bottom of the 1-2 cylinder bores at lowest point of the water jacket.

Crack is about 5-6 inches long.

Thoughts? I have not welded an engine block before.

Thanks all,

stardog

It can be done, but not easily.  a good picture of the area would help with the answers.   There is also a method available that uses special tooling and plugs to do this.  I think it is called lock stitching in their literature.

I've successfully welded cast with nickle alloy rod without preheat and cooling slowly but it isn't recommended.  I got lucky.  I've also tried brazing.  Just couldn't get it hot enough to flow well.  It requires a lot of preheat to work in my experience.

One view is that you have nothing to loose by trying,  on the other hand the attempt may damage the block beyond repair.

drill stops at each end of the crack...best thing here is the value of having the block stripped and ability to lay in position that will aid in "flow" of your puddle...clean the crack as best you can and do a light V the main heat will need be along the boss of the oil galley but with cast iron you not going to melt or distort this and in truth the retained heat in the heavier heat will aid in longer cool down of you brazing....good prep, proper torch size and you should be able to save the block...these are not pressurized under original use and circumstances.  I have done cast iron brazing in the past and right now have a couple cast repairs to make here at the house when next I feel like piddling on something other than the project at hand.  Good luck....lets up see your handiwork.

Just reminds me of the story .... We never knew we could not weld cast iron .... so we just went ahead & did it anyways.

Think about all the kids that created dual exhaust on a six cylinder  engine back in the 50's.

They did not know they could cut it and weld in a new piece .... So they just did it. And it worked and they continued to do it again.

I really do not want to tell you about Grandpa Carl .... sold my sister a 1962 chebby chevyII station wagon. 

The engine on the car threw a rod through the block .... Grandpa welded a patch back on it, fixed the bearing issues and the engine ran great.

I also drove a 1987 Astro van with the block welded up. It was perfect.

We are told that we need special welding techniques to weld a set of headers for a straight 6, or patch up a hole in the side of a engine block .... Back in the 50's they just fixed it with no questions.

Just now, stardog16 said:

Here is a pic of the crack. 

Is your crack worth fixing? I have no clue. I can say it can be fixed .... I also can say these engines are not rare so it can be replaced.

• Like 1