What is the rubber seal on top of the radiator for?

MarcDeSoto

I have a 48 DeSoto, and I'm wondering what is that seal in two parts on the crown of the radiator for?  My newly purchased junkyard DeSoto radiator has the two plates that the seal goes on, but the seal is long gone.  Maybe it's for preventing wind from whistling through the top of the radiator, or to stop the hood from slamming down on the radiator top tank?  I don't know, does anyone have a guess?  Does anyone sell new a new rubber seal for these radiators?  

radiator 2.jpg

Based on my experience with aircraft pressure cowls it appears the baffle seal is for promoting air flow through the radiator instead of over it.

You could get some rubber sheet material from McMaster-Carr if you want to replace the seal. I removed the plate and mounts from my P15 radiator and it cools just fine.

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 2

Try Dennis Bickford of Vintage Woodworks in LaLuz New Mexico

I believe he sells them.

You can make your own but you need old ones for patterns. I did make a few if you cannot find them

And yes, as stated, they are for better air circulation.

• Like 1

If you have an original style radiator then the original style radiator cap is what you should use, you may also find that the actual depth of the radiator cap 
"hole" will necessitate the style of radiator cap that you use as the original style apart from being rated at a lower pressure will also be longer ..at least thats what i have found......andyd 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MarcDeSoto said:

Are your radiators original?  Good news on my new DeSoto radiator.  I did a flow test and it passed easily.  I took it to my radiator shop, so I hope it won't cost too much to rebuilt it.  

Have it boiled and pressure tested, if it passes, have them apply a fresh coat of paint........and then install it.  :)

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 12:24 AM, MarcDeSoto said:

Another radiator question,  should I put on an original radiator cap or try to find a pressurized one?  

Mark Your 46-48 radtior uses an R-3 NON-Pressurized cap  that is the same that I use on my 39 desoto. I checked my Atlas catalog to verify the correct cap Number.

NO PRESSURIZED CAP IS TO BE USED.

Rich Hartung

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Wonder if you should not have it pressure tested either?  More like leak tested. What if these guys pump it up and it starts ballooning?

If it were mine, it would get tested.   I hate having to remove parts after installation for any reason.  Especially ones that could leak on my fresh work.

Not that I don't trust the shop, but I'd do it at home.  I have a cooling system test kit from Harbor Freight.  Not too expensive and works on the car or with a couple of plugs for the inlet and outlet, can test on the bench too.   Without the kit, a bicycle inner tube can be used to pressurize to a safe level.  Cut the tube and clamp the open ends over the radiator's outlets and either plug the neck or use the cap, depending on pressure cap or not.   Now use the tubes air valve to inflate the  radiator.  The tube's expansion will provide warning of over inflation.  

• Like 2

There is a template for the rubber part in the down loads section.  The pieces are mirror image, so on the trmplate was made by tracing the one original piece that was on my car.  For material I used some thin walk off mat that was lying around in the garage.  The one shape fits both sides.  Mine were stapled on with the staples piercing the sheet metal bits.  When I redid mine I cut short lengths of mechanics wire to recreate the look of the staples.  

If your radiator is stock, don't pressure test it above 3 or 4 psi.  If there isn't a leak you don't want a careless tech to make one or more.  

The location of the overflow tube generally indicates whether the radiator was designed for pressure.  If it has the dome o n the tank its a zero pressure system.. if the overflow tube is below the cap gasket in the filler tube it is zero pressure.  If the relief tube is above the gasket in the filler neck it is a pressure system, the amount of pressure will be determined by the stiffness of the spring pushing the gasket down onto the seat in the filler neck.   So do make sure you identify your radiator before the guy puts his tool on it and blows it up.

• Like 2