Lower Radiator Hose 1941 Dodge

oldodge41

I replaced the lower radiator hose on my '41 Dodge Coupe yesterday. The old one was one that my dad and I had found searching thru a local auto parts store inventory back in 1990 that sort of fit. It was all rubber with no metal pipe. It always had a slight kink at the upper compound bend. Didn't hurt anything, as it lasted 32 years. No idea what it was actually for. I used it on both the original 218 and current 230 engines. It started  looking and feeling soft upon my latest inspection so I replaced it. 

Rock Auto listed an all rubber Gates hose for a 1948 Dodge Deluxe at a reasonable price, so I decided to give it a try. It fit great, one very simple arcing bend molded in. No kinking at all. I did trim about an inch off the upper end because it just slightly grazed the inner fender and trimming moved it in and away from the possible abrasion point.  

Lower Radiator Hose Gates #20121 listed for 48 Dodge Deluxe fit my 1941 Dodge Business Coupe. Thought I would let others know if they too wanted to do away with the metal elbow in the lower radiator hose.    

Edited by oldodge41
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

while the hose as molded is made to resist collapse, did it have an internal spring in place or maybe you transferred the other one....?

The spring isn't there to prevent hose collapse other than when the factory did their vacuum fill.  If you have a lower hose collapse problem in use your problem is a flow restriction upstream of the lower hose.  Go look at my electric fan thread and you will see that the hoses do when you vacuum fill the cooling system and my comments on it.

if you happy without the spring, I am happy for you.....millions of replacement hoses sold with springs that NEVER get vacuum filled on servicing.  That would greatly reduce the manufactures cost in production if this was their sole need for existence and I only use this one point as they cut costs at every corner.....I will use the hose, you are free not to....it will never do any harm being there.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1