Starter Solenoid Clicking

OUTFXD

Back to the starter issues again.  Pretty sure the current solenoid Burned out. I swapped in one of the other solenoids I bought a few months ago.  buttoned up the battery, made sure it had a charge hit the key and all I got was Brrrrrrrrrrrrat.  It sounded like an impact gun.  On the off chance it was a voltage issued I added my jump battery, hit the key and BRRRRRRRAAAAT!  Same thing but louder.

What in the world wold make the solenoid click like that?

Edit:  I tried swapping the Power and starter leads around and it simply did nothing.

Edited by OUTFXD

44 minutes ago, Doug&Deb said:

Dumb question but is the starter spinning or is it hanging up?

Starter is NOT spinning,  even with a full 6v it spins sluggishly. Pretty sure the Fuel pump has a leak in the diafram as Every morning the fuel filter is empty and it takes several rotations of the engine before she will start.

45 minutes ago, OUTFXD said:

Starter is NOT spinning,  even with a full 6v it spins sluggishly. Pretty sure the Fuel pump has a leak in the diafram as Every morning the fuel filter is empty and it takes several rotations of the engine before she will start.

If the diaphragm  is leaking is the fuel going into the oil?  Not good if it is.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bryan said:

If the diaphragm  is leaking is the fuel going into the oil?  Not good if it is.

I would think so,  A rebuild is in the works for June as well as an oil change.

Here are couple of things to try.

1. Use a 12v jump pack with a switch to turn it on, and hook it to the ground and the starter directly. Bypass the the solenoid completely. engage the jump pack and see if the starter spins good or is sluggish. If it is sluggish, pull the starter and clean/rebuild it. Check the wire to the starter for corrosion and broken wires. 

Your starter may be dragging and the solenoid cant over come the resistance. 

2. If the starter seems good it is probably the solenoid. You said you swapped it with one bought recently but you know how these chinese repos are.

3 As far as the fuel pump goes, my fuel filter shows the same thing but it is not the fuel pump. Our carbs are not sealed units. If the float in the carb drops just a bit, the needle will not seat and the fuel will flow to the lowest point, The PUMP. (ain't gravity and weight a bitch) Mine does this all the time so I put an electric prime pump to hit so the fuel is at the carb prior to starting, especially after setting for a few day/weeks.

Joe Lee