Spark Plug Wires - Loose Terminals

I opted for the original style spark plug wires on my B3B. What makes me question them is how loosely they fit onto the spark plugs. I've tried crimping them this way and that way with a plier but as soon as I push them back onto the plugs they wiggle around just like before. Is this normal? Shouldn't good plug wires snap down and fit tightly? In case I decide to try different wires, has anyone had really good luck with another brand?

20220531_170341_resized.jpg.c1b5c235023684f75fc53c19f0db365d.jpg   20220531_170405_resized.jpg.80c2957dc4cbf10fd062ec48b39452b8.jpg

• Like 1

As long as they don't pull up easily off the plug, and just twist around a little should be okay. If they loosely jiggle back and forth horizontally with a gap I'd say that's too loose.  You'd have to get the touching edges of the terminal part on the plug to overlap to make the diameter smaller, or maybe curl them in somewhat. 

the molded rubber spark plug boots do double duty:  they seal out moisture on the spark plug connection, as well as hold the spark plug connector firmly to the spark plug.  The connector needs to snap onto the end of the spark plug not so much that the connector strangles the spark plug conductor but makes firm contact with the conductor so no arcing occurs.

I recently repaired a tractor cab radio antenna connector as the original Motorola style connector sorta came apart as the male coax terminal got stuck in the radio I was replacing.  The local electronics repair store had a replacement Motorola style connector for less than $2 and required soldering, versus the $40 antenna replacement cost.  The soldering repair was straightforward, but there was a small collar that I assumed was crimped somehow onto the coax cable...so I fiddled with it like an oetiker hose clamp, and it worked swimmingly.

So maybe you could source some oetiker clamps to really tighten them spark plug connectors onto the spark plugs for worry-free motoring  :cool:

• Like 1