Help identifying engine in Yale KGP54AT-40 (?) Forklift

Sleepyaligator
Go to solution Solved by Sleepyaligator,

So far this is what I have.   The nameplate is virtually unreadable.  I am trying to identify the engine in order to identify the starter for replacement.

FROM NAME PLATE

The Yale & Towne Mfg Co
Philadelphia Pennsylvania

MODEL    ??  -1OU  ??
SERIAL  54   097
POWER   IND-3?0-104

Pounds  Center Height
4275     21           ?
4000     24          ?
3750     27          ?
3500     30          ?

TWO STAMPS ON HEAD
   A
1 E5 50   <-- could be a date like 1.5.50

P
1405849-3

TWO STAMPS ON BLOCK
T3Co 1I23I77   <-- 1I is really ?I  T3C.1I23I77  or T334*II0C7*   or T3C6*I23I77

Engine may be a 218 Plymouth flathead 6 dated 1/5/1950  or

6 cylinder gas Continental engine model F226  seems likely

Looking for some suggestions about how to track down a the right starter.  Thanks!

Block1.jpg

Forklift2.jpg

Head2.jpg

NamePlate1.jpg

Block2.jpg

Head1.jpg

One key in the deciding if it is a Continental or a Chrysler is the location of the distributer.

Chrysler on the side Continental on the top of the head.

This way in one quick glance you can tell.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

AS far as a new starter is concerned they pretty much impossible to find but it is not hard to get a rebuild on the one you have.

Remove it and take or send to a electric motors (autos) repair shop. Most areas still have at least one. The motor also has a # stamped into it and at one time a factory label with model# and specs .  If it is missing it will still most likely repairable.

Also it is the best time to replace that leaking freeze plug located on the block behind the starter, the others when??

DJ

Edited by DJ194950
Add freeze plug replace

Hard to tell in the picture, but it looks like it may be a T306 engine, which would make it a 218 from a '51 or '52  1/2 ton truck. But that starter motor didn't come from a truck. It's quite possible that the bell housing and starter are specific to Chrysler Industrial engines.  Someone probably swapped the IND-30 engine with the truck engine at one point in time. 

casting dates are relative to the distributor:  vertically above is the head casting date; vertically below is the block casting date.  T306 block stamp should have a casting date in '51-'53 per Eric Bannerman's research, but it is entirely possible the original head or block was replaced as heads and blocks were generally cast within days of each other during original engine manufacturing.  The issue here might be that the head is an external bypass design, and the block is an internal bypass design.

additional information - internal vs. external bypass water pump identification

I notice that the dipstick is in the block, which tells me that oil pan is not a front sump pan but a rear or middle sump pan.  Not really an issue, just an observation :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2022 at 1:16 PM, DJ194950 said:

AS far as a new starter is concerned they pretty much impossible to find but it is not hard to get a rebuild on the one you have.

Remove it and take or send to a electric motors (autos) repair shop. Most areas still have at least one. The motor also has a # stamped into it and at one time a factory label with model# and specs .  If it is missing it will still most likely repairable.

Also it is the best time to replace that leaking freeze plug located on the block behind the starter, the others when??

DJ

Thanks DJ.  Getting the starter rebuilt seems like a good option.  Definitely will change the freeze plugs too! 

• 11 months later...
  • Solution

Well Happy Day!

New fuel pump. carb, starter, plugs, wires, coil, and condenser.    Engine would not start, absolutely nothing, not even a single  "putt".   Firing order 153624.  We looked at the distributor to make sure it was spinning counterclockwise like all the diagrams.   Of course it was.    My brain could not accept the fact of what it was seeing.   Put the cap and wires back together for counterclockwise firing order.   Nothing.  

And finally, reality sank it.  The distributor is spinning CLOCKWISE!   Quick re-ordering of the wires and the engine started right up.   No misses, or noises, just PURRS!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...

My next problem is the transmission wont go into forward gears.   There seem to be two reverse gears.  Is that possible?  Took the 4 bolt tower off and the left shaft moves freely but the right shaft is frozen.  I saw the two springs that apparently hold steel balls into shifting detents.   Could this be where the mechanism if locked up?  Any references to  to fixing these things?

Transmission1Small.jpg

On 6/5/2023 at 3:00 PM, Sleepyaligator said:

Well Happy Day!

New fuel pump. carb, starter, plugs, wires, coil, and condenser.    Engine would not start, absolutely nothing, not even a single  "putt".   Firing order 153624.  We looked at the distributor to make sure it was spinning counterclockwise like all the diagrams.   Of course it was.    My brain could not accept the fact of what it was seeing.   Put the cap and wires back together for counterclockwise firing order.   Nothing.  

And finally, reality sank it.  The distributor is spinning CLOCKWISE!   Quick re-ordering of the wires and the engine started right up.   No misses, or noises, just PURRS!

I must have looked at the same diagrams when I did my first tune up. 

• 4 months later...

Nothing happens very fast in my world.   The forward gears shifter rod was frozen, but WD-40 and a lot of wiggling freed it up!  With a rope for a throttle, no brakes, and no experience driving forklifts I crashed into everything in my friend's "junk" yard but made it up to where I could load her on a trailer and bring it home!

• Like 4