MPG

Booger

Had a nice lady approach me while I was at the Dollar General in the Coronet, asking about my car. One of the first questions she asked was about gas mileage. Told her I thought it was around the 13-14 mpg area, but you really couldn't let thing like that bother you when driving a classic.

• Like 1

Last time I bothered checking, which was quite a few years ago when we lived in a more urban environment, I got 16 MPG with the ol' D24.  Not a lot of stop-and-go driving up here, with more open road (albeit not highway) cruising.  I've noticed a tank o' gas seems to last a bit longer here but haven't checked MPG.  I've had folks ask about MPG on a regular basis, seems to me they're looking for me to say something under 10 MPG, because they're always surprised when I tell them the 16 figure.  

• Like 1

I'm in Wes's catagory . My '47 DeSoto all stock engine, Fluid Drive , & Tip Toe Shift gets 13-14 MPG .  I only run non ethanol gas but the only choice of non ethanol

at the pump is 90 octane . I don't know if octane is a factor

My wife and I made a trip from Worcester to Liverpool UK. About 1/2 way there we stopped to fill up. My speedo cable broke so we had to guess at our distance. We figured 19mpg on a 230 3 speed

Just filled up, 11.3 all town, lots of idling. Carb boils over really easily, I suspect that the split manifold does not block off the heat riser. Got 15 on my last tank.

Edited by FarmerJon

4 hours ago, SteveR said:

My wife and I made a trip from Worcester to Liverpool UK. About 1/2 way there we stopped to fill up. My speedo cable broke so we had to guess at our distance. We figured 19mpg on a 230 3 speed

In the states (depending where you are) gas is around $4.50 a gal. I was in Europe 2 years ago and of course petrol is sold by the litre. I would Imagine its around 7-8 Euros a US gal. ouch!

Just did a 500 mile round trip to run my car at the VHRA Hot Rod Races.
It's a P15, running a 218 with dual carbs and an ali head. Transmission is OD with a 3.90 rear end.
Fuel consumption was approx 20 miles per US gallon for the whole round trip.
Driving hard, at approx 70-75mph on the way out, cost about 5% compared to the return at about 60mph.

10 hours ago, Booger said:

In the states (depending where you are) gas is around $4.50 a gal. I was in Europe 2 years ago and of course petrol is sold by the litre. I would Imagine its around 7-8 Euros a US gal. ouch!

I just realized when I did my calculation I was using the English gallon not the US gallon so my mpg would be around 14 per US mpg

Here in England the price of E-10, 10% alcohol is £1.79 per Ltr. That's £8.14 UK and £6.78 US per gallon

A few years ago I took my '38 Dodge pickup on an old car tour. It was in upstate NY and was 700+ miles in length. The truck has the original 218 engine. We pretty much kept the max speed to about 45 MPH as a Model A was leading the group. My mileage on that tour was a bit over 20 MPG.

Pete

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Robin (UK) said:

Just did a 500 mile round trip to run my car at the VHRA Hot Rod Races.
It's a P15, running a 218 with dual carbs and an ali head. Transmission is OD with a 3.90 rear end.
Fuel consumption was approx 20 miles per US gallon for the whole round trip.
Driving hard, at approx 70-75mph on the way out, cost about 5% compared to the return at about 60mph.

Thats the beauty of having OD. Those are decent numbers

• Like 1