Electric fuel pump question

I have an electric fuel pump on my 48 b1c.  The truck ran good all last year with the new pump.  Now all of the sudden I am not getting gas to the carburetor.  I pulled the line off after the pump and it's not pumping fuel, although the little motor is making that "whirring" noise like it always has. I have a fuel filter right out of the gas tank and before the pump (which is a very short space), so I pulled the line off after the filter and gas is streaming everywhere.  Is it possible to pump isn't working even though it makes the same noise it always did?  I'm kind of stumped here as I have never used an electric fuel pump before.  

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

many fuel pumps have a micro mesh screen protecting the pump on the input side....it may be time to see if this has been restricted with debris from the tank.  maybe a blowback of the line with the inlet to the pump open will show this debris being dislodged.  

Okay, thanks Tim.  I just need to somehow plug/block off the fuel line after that initial filter (vice grips maybe?) then I can get to that small filter that's part of the pump.  Got sprayed in the face with gas earlier ?

Make sure the pump is mounted at a level to the bottom of the tank or lower. This creates a siphoning affect, easier for the pump to pull the fuel.

• Thanks 1