Dip Stick Support has a Minor Leak at the Bottom

I noticed a very small leak from the base of the oil pan dip stick support plate (or whatever it's called). To repair it I thought of melting a bronze brazing rod around the edge of the plate on the outside of the pan. But I also noticed a raised stamped bead on the inside of the pan where the plate is mounted. I'm wondering if that raised bead makes room for a gasket that was put in place before the support plate was spot welded into place. If I braze the outside edge the heat would probably destroy any gasket that might be sandwiched under the bead. Brazing would stop the leak, but the disadvantage of brazing is it would change the stock appearance of the oil pan. Then again, maybe there is a better solution. I just don't know what it might be. I would rather put up with a very small leak than try drilling out the eight spot welds just to replace a gasket that might not even be there. Has anyone ever removed this bracket? What's behind it if you have? Is there a good solution to a leak at this location?

20220524_165753_resized.jpg.41f5707e998b459ff92ab44a018ffb33.jpg   20220524_170628_resized.jpg.a03e61d0b2837b91fb8a81c3b709c3c7.jpg

20220524_165352_resized.jpg.c4a1c9c8473c183dd6f909c0a3bc577b.jpg   20220524_165417_resized.jpg.024dafff477da60dd95ce08dfaca4aa7.jpg

It's probably some kind of gasket. Maybe some kind of sealant from the inside at the bottom?    Or a light tap with a flat hammer from the inside on the bevel to flatten it more against the gasket?  Hard call.

• Thanks 1

I've never drilled out those spotwelds to take a gander, but considering the technology of that era, that might just be a cork gasket in there that probably dried out and has some cracks in it.  I had one that leaked a little on the '48 but I drove it on so many dusty roads that after awhile, it didn't seem to leak any more.  I plan on injecting a sealant into that seam on the next rebuild.

• Like 1