How does radiator attach to radiator bracket support on 48 DeSoto?

MarcDeSoto

Marc: so if the rad shop sent you a radiator what is the number that is stamped on the top of the tank. Tell us that number might be able to figure what it fits.

The next big question is what are your plans for the Desoto, Are you planning to enter it into AACA sanctioned car shows to be point judged or are you going to enter it in small local car show and might be visually judged for trophies or are you just trying to get the Desoto back up and running as a driver car and get the best possible replacement components that will permit you to have the car running again? 

I thnik prior to purchasing a radiator you need to know what direction you are heading in for thecar.  Also have to remember that these cars do not bring a lot of money when being sold.  The Adventurers and the late 50's desoto and convets are the ones that bring in the money and even then it is hard to get the asking price becasue not evey one is associated with the Desoto Product and love afare.

If you are looking for a good driver then get a modern replacement paint it black and most of the people looking at the car will not know the difference and just go out and driver the car and have fun with it or spend the big bucks and the average car show person still would not know if it is correct or not and then most could not even care.

In most car show the spectators are all looking for the BLING in the engine comparment, blowers, nitos systems chrome valves covers, chrome air cleaners, headers and any tricked out gizmo that can be put onthe car.  They have no idea what is correct just the looks is what counts for them.

So your decision to make.  Hope this helps you make the right choice in a radiator.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 2

Yes, I don't care about judges or trophies.  I'm the one who will notice I guess. Also I'm not planning to try to make a bundle selling it.  It's a keeper.  Besides, those repro $225 radiators don't even fit in my DeSoto.  Besides it's just money.  Who cares about money?  I've already given the part number of the radiator they gave me 30 years ago.  But here it is again:  1254623.  No one so far has been able to find that number in a Parts Book.  It is a MoPar radiator though and has the right logo cdPd just above the part number.  

On 5/25/2022 at 5:04 PM, busycoupe said:

The number on the back of my Dodge radiator is 1254623. 

image.jpg

This is a clue.  Busycoupe's 46-48 has this part number on the radiator 1254623?  I didn't notice that before!  My radiator is also 1254623.  So maybe mine must be for a Dodge and would probably also fit a Plymouth even though that part number is not in the Parts Book?  

Edited by MarcDeSoto

1254751, 973695, and 976211 are the three core numbers out of the 1946-48 Dodge parts book...go figure...

Some parts..the part #'s never quite match what's in the parts book...being off the last few #'s.

Sometimes MoPar part #'s make no sense.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

ok so according to my Hollander cross ref book under radiatorsMarc: so if the rad shop sent you a radiator what is the number that is stamped on the top of the tank. Tell us that number might be able to figure what it fits.

The next big question is what are your plans for the Desoto, Are you planning to enter it into AACA sanctioned car shows to be point judged or are you going to enter it in small local car show and might be visually judged for trophies or are you just trying to get the Desoto back up and running as a driver car and get the best possible replacement components that will permit you to have the car running again? 

I thnik prior to purchasing a radiator you need to know what direction you are heading in for thecar.  Also have to remember that these cars do not bring a lot of money when being sold.  The Adventurers and the late 50's desoto and convets are the ones that bring in the money and even then it is hard to get the asking price becasue not evey one is associated with the Desoto Product and love afare.

If you are looking for a good driver then get a modern replacement paint it black and most of the people looking at the car will not know the difference and just go out and driver the car and have fun with it or spend the big bucks and the average car show person still would not know if it is correct or not and then most could not even care.

In most car show the spectators are all looking for the BLING in the engine comparment, blowers, nitos systems chrome valves covers, chrome air cleaners, headers and any tricked out gizmo that can be put onthe car.  They have no idea what is correct just the looks is what counts for them.

So your decision to make.  Hope this helps you make the right choice in a radiator.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

ok so in my hollander catalog under radiator the part number for Chrysler 6 cylinder and desoto 6 cylinder is part # 972210. Chrysler 6 from 1942-48 and Desoto 42-48 use the same radiator.

Rich Hartung

• Like 1

I got the Ebay DeSoto radiator today and it looks OK.  It is rusty on the side brackets, but I am removing the rust there.  I filled it with water to look for leaks but couldn't find any in the core.   Maybe you can't tell unless you do a pressure check?  Do you do a pressure check even on radiators that don't have a pressure cap?   but the real question is the core.  Is it clogged or not? Should I have the inlet and outlet connections replaced if there is heavy rust inside them?  

Edited by MarcDeSoto
  • Like 1

I put a hose in the upper hose connector and water flowed quickly out the bottom connector.  I turned the Radiator upside down and it flowed in the reverse direction just as easily.  Possible it's good, but will have a my radiator shop verify.  What is the FSM?  

Edited by MarcDeSoto

• 2 weeks later...

If it's NOS why does it have the wrong part number 4893?  They don't even show a pic of it.  If it is the right radiator, I would be interested because I just found out from the shop that my old DeSoto radiator needs a re-core.  That's expensive!  My rad. man has been having a hard time finding a vendor who sells cellular cores.  They are not returning his calls.  Does anyone know a vendor that sells cellular cores?  

Thats a old stock replacement radiator.

Not a original factory one.

I have seen his warehouse of parts and the some of the radiators in boxes three racks up.

2 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

If it's NOS why does it have the wrong part number 4893?  They don't even show a pic of it.  If it is the right radiator, I would be interested because I just found out from the shop that my old DeSoto radiator needs a re-core.  That's expensive!  My rad. man has been having a hard time finding a vendor who sells cellular cores.  They are not returning his calls.  Does anyone know a vendor that sells cellular cores?  

There is a manufacturer in Australia.   i've seen a video of the process but can't locate it right now.   @andydodge ?

FOUND IT:!!

https://www.ftrs.com.au/vhrc/

Edited by kencombs
  • Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 4:35 PM, Dodgeb4ya said:

1254751, 973695, and 976211 are the three core numbers out of the 1946-48 Dodge parts book...go figure...

Some parts..the part #'s never quite match what's in the parts book...being off the last few #'s.

Sometimes MoPar part #'s make no sense.

Chrysler part numbers make sense when you realize that it is an engineering drawing number. Consider a radiator consisting of a top tank (one drawing  number), a core (another drawing number), a bottom tank (another drawing number), and some miscellaneous side pieces and brackets (each with its own drawing number). All those are assembled into a radiator assembly with yet another numbered engineering drawing. Since the whole radiator was designed at one time the various pieces and final assembly have drawing numbers that are often close to one another.

When released to production somebody decides what parts (drawing numbers) will be made available for service replacement. In our example it will be the final radiator assembly. But that top tank has the top tank drawing number pressed into it, not the radiator drawing/part number. So the part number in the parts book is different than you see pressed into the very visible top tank.

Castings will have the raw casting drawing numbers, not the finished machined drawing numbers, etc.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Thats a old stock replacement radiator.

Not a original factory one.

I have seen his warehouse of parts and the some of the radiators in boxes three racks up.

Do you think it would be a direct fit for my 48 DeSoto and look the same as the original?  

I cannot tell you if it will fit..

The radiators in boxes are 15 feet up on Costco style racks.

I was there a couple months ago buying parts...saw tons and tons of old stock parts for all makes of cars.

E-mail him to be sure it's correct and get the information and pictures of the radiator.

• Like 1

I went back to the radiator shop and got my DeSoto radiator back.  He said the only companies making cellular cores are in Europe and would cost over $4 K!  Then he showed me some modern core material that looked good and said he could rebuild my old radiator for about $1100 to $1200.  I told him I just bought an NOS aftermarket radiator from a parts house in WA, but if it is the wrong radiator, I would be back.  So I'll have to wait and see if the NOS radiator is correct.

2 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

I went back to the radiator shop and got my DeSoto radiator back.  He said the only companies making cellular cores are in Europe and would cost over $4 K!  Then he showed me some modern core material that looked good and said he could rebuild my old radiator for about $1100 to $1200.  I told him I just bought an NOS aftermarket radiator from a parts house in WA, but if it is the wrong radiator, I would be back.  So I'll have to wait and see if the NOS radiator is correct.

Did you see my edited post above with the link to a radiator maker in AU?  Wouldn't be too expensive to give them a call.

• Like 1

I got pics of the after market radiator made for 42-48 DeSoto from NWOCP thanks to Sniper's tip.  I'll put some of the pics below.  Does it have a cellular core or not?  I don't think this has a cellular core because I don't see diamond shaped cells. Otherwise, I think it's a good fit.  It measures 23.5" from bolt hole to hole.  

rad1.jpg

rad4.jpg

rad6.jpg

rad7.jpg

rad8.jpg

• Like 1

After looking at the above radiator again and comparing it too this chart, I think it has a cellular core, but not a honeycomb core.  I didn't know there was a difference.  My original DeSoto radiator has what looks like diamond shaped cells.  

radtypes.webp