How does radiator attach to radiator bracket support on 48 DeSoto?

MarcDeSoto

I think Radiator shops do bracket modifications.  So I'll look into that.  I only need the holes to move 3/4" over on each side.  Can someone with a DeSoto or Chrysler 6 tell me the height of their radiator?  Just making sure the height of my Plymouth radiator is not too high.  

Edited by MarcDeSoto

4 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

I think Radiator shops do bracket modifications.  So I'll look into that.  I only need the holes to move 3/4" over on each side.  Can someone with a DeSoto or Chrysler 6 tell me the height of their radiator?  Just making sure the height of my Plymouth radiator is not too high.  

Hey Marc...I can't really get an accurate measurement on the rad with it in the car, but it's a little under 15" from the flat surface of the water pump to the rad cap, if that helps. Very roughly, it measures about 25" from the bottom tank to the peak of the top of the tank. Also, my rad is 972208. Could be a replacement from when it got whacked. 

Edited by ratbailey
  • Like 1

I'm trying to decide whether to find an original DeSoto radiator and having it recored, or going with my smaller radiator.  It's part no. 1254623 which I think may fit a Dodge or a Plymouth.  If anyone has the right Parts Manual, I'd like to know what it fit originally.  My radiator shop says that if I can get them a Desoto radiator, they can rebuild it and put in a new core with the original honeycomb type core material, but it isn't cheap at $1400.  

I could not find #1254623 in any of my MoPar  parts books.

Or MoPar supercedence books.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MarcDeSoto said:

I'm trying to decide whether to find an original DeSoto radiator and having it recored, or going with my smaller radiator.  It's part no. 1254623 which I think may fit a Dodge or a Plymouth.  If anyone has the right Parts Manual, I'd like to know what it fit originally.  My radiator shop says that if I can get them a Desoto radiator, they can rebuild it and put in a new core with the original honeycomb type core material, but it isn't cheap at $1400.  

I don't remember exactly what it was but French lake auto parts just posted a video of new arrivals and one might have been a 46-48 DeSoto or Chrysler. Might be worth a call 

• Like 1

My radiator shop said they could weld on some brackets to make the Plymouth radiator fit my radiator support.  Do you think the smaller radiator would be OK with my DeSoto, or should Iook for the right radiator?  

You need the right capacity radiator...

Plymouth is sized too small...will run hot.

• Like 3

If it were me, I'd want to know if the core measurements of whatever it is you have is the same as the original DeSoto rad, and if the tank capacities match up as well. If so, I'd just fab up some kind of extension brackets and use what you've got, at least until you get your hands on an original rad. 

• Like 1

If you are not going to run an original Desoto radiator I'd go with a modern one, and pick one with measured width & height needed plus extra space for adding angle brackets.  Something like this. Look at dimensions listed at bottom scroll down.  Amazon.com: OzCoolingParts 55-57 Chevy Radiator, 55mm 3 Row Core All Aluminum Radiator for 1955-1957 Chevrolet Bel-Air, Del Ray Nomad, One-Fifty & Two-Ten Series, L6 V8 Engines : Automotive

This doesn’t help Marc but just an observation. In Canada since mid 1938, all cars had the longer 25” engine. It not only makes finding an engine, if needed, easy but radiators are pretty much a universal fit between Mopar brands. I ran a radiator in my ‘48 Dodge coupe for years from a Chrysler. When it finally gave up the ghost I put in a great radiator from a Plymouth. Both bolted right in. I am running a 251 CID in the Dodge from an old grain truck and both radiators have cooled well. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

You need the right capacity radiator...

Plymouth is sized too small...will run hot.

I think I'm going to trust Dodgeb4ya on this.  I'm going to get the Plymouth radiator back from the shop and look for a DeSoto radiator.  I think I've found a yard that may have one.  

Turns out that French Lake did not have my radiator and they referred me to Turner's Auto Wrecking in Fresno.  They have two 48 DeSotos, but the radiators are gone.  Figures, radiators for these cars are probably one of the first things to go.  but I found my radiator on Ebay.  It isn't pretty and the ad says it needs re-coring, but I grabbed it.  It has the right part number 972210.  My radiator man says he can rebuild it and put in a new honeycomb core for $1400.  It hurts remembering what a nice original radiator I used to have, but restoring a car isn't easy.  

48desotoRad.jpg

• Like 1

About the fit, I'm going by the part number.  It's the correct part number.  I was getting ready to fire up the engine for the first time.  Since it will be awhile till I get a radiator in there, is it OK to fire up the engine for about a minute or two just to check it out without coolant?  

Getting the wrong radiator back from the shop long ago is a unique twist on this saga, and apologies for the misguidance, that cross brace on the front of the support definitely cancels out my thoughts.  I got a really high estimate to re-core my radiator, too.  I looked for a replacement, but all the ones I found claimed to, or obviously, need re-coring, too.  Anyway, "the Boss" wants an original looking radiator (the D24 is theoretically her car) and said, and I quote, "whatever it costs, just get it done."  I know, right?

• Like 1

Won't hurt to fire up the engine for a minute or two with out water.

Don't spin the fan/water pump dry.

• Like 1

Cooling capacity requirements are more a function of HP generated than anything else.  Ran into this when trying to decide how large an electric fan I needed to run.  Unfortunately and is in the case of most aftermarket stuff, the information to make a good decision isn't out there.  I my case the closest recommendations I could find were based on cylinder count, not HP.  Pretty sure a 300hp turbo 4 cylinder is going to want more fan, or radiator, than my 97 hp flathead six.  But if you go with the cylinder count recommendation the opposite would be true.

I don't think running the smaller radiator will really affect you as much as some appear to think and I think ambient weather conditions would have more of an effect.  Temecula appears to be in the moderate weather part of SoCal, you get over the mountains and we might have another story here.

• Like 1

I'm going to put up my smaller radiator up for sale.  I think it fits 1940s Dodge and Plymouth.  Just to verify that, Dodge owners, what is the bolt to bolt distance on the top side bolts on your radiator?  Is it 22"?  And Plymouth owners, is yours also 22"?  I would also like the know the height of your radiators?  Thanks.  Marc.