How does radiator attach to radiator bracket support on 48 DeSoto?

MarcDeSoto

From what I have seen on other Mopars of the era the rad. needs to be closer to the motor on the other side of the mount an it appears the top legs of the mount bent inward to meet the rad width. The Bolts come from the inner side rad. then into the mount.

DJ

• Like 1

DJ is correct.

The radiator flange(s) go on the inside of the support and the radiator does not sit in the bottom of the support.

So you have to lift the radiator to line up the holes on the flange(s) and the support and then use the bolts, going through the flange first and then into the support, to attach them together.

It looks like your support will need to be pulled inward on the sides to line up the holes.

Be careful working around the fan, too.

I always tape a piece of cardboard over the radiator core so as not to have the fan damage the fins.

• Like 1

Looks like your support bracket spread out.  You'll need to evenly draw the top of the radiator support together, so the radiator easily bolts to it.  That will be important to getting the fenders, hood, and grill to line up later as well, because the inner fenders bolt to that radiator support.  There's another bracket between the inner fenders, ahead of the radiator, so the support doesn't do all the work keeping the fenders together.    

D24's have another piece riveted across the top of that support that keeps the support rigid.  It's where the back of the nose piece attaches, but Dodges have the clamshell hood vs. the DeSoto's alligator hood.  

Edited by Dan Hiebert

6 hours ago, Dan Hiebert said:

Looks like your support bracket spread out.  You'll need to evenly draw the top of the radiator support together, so the radiator easily bolts to it.  That will be important to getting the fenders, hood, and grill to line up later as well, because the inner fenders bolt to that radiator support. 

Assuming the hole will line up vertically on either side and the misalignment is just width Dan is right on the money.   The bottom two holes should line up as is, or at least very close.   So, just use a bar clamp on the top of the support to draw it together.   Those u-shaped sections tend to not retain the sides parallel due to the tension from stamping/forming.

Edited by kencombs

The radiator does not sit tight on the bottom of the support.  The radiator is bolted onto the back side of the support, not in the middle. Also the top bolt goes through the brace on top of the radiator as well as the sides of the support. 

AFC711F1-357C-4832-AD58-2650FA1BCA6A.jpeg

• Like 1

You must have a Dodge.  No top brace on a DeSoto.  I have an alligator hood.  I don't quite understand how the radiator support could spread out at least one inch wider.  It has a cross brace the prevents spreading!  But I'll look into it.  

I went out and tried to "bend" the radiator support in.  Forget it.  This is solid steel with a cross bar going across the top that is riveted in place.  You can't bend this thing.  I measured the distancefrom center hole to center hole on the top of the radiator support: 23 5/8".  The radiator top holes: 22".  So there is a 1 5/8" difference!  Maybe there is a missing metal panel or something?  Can someone measure their radiator bolt holes to see if theirs are the same as mine please?  Thanks, Marc.

radiator.jpg

radiator 2.jpg

Edited by MarcDeSoto

Yes, it's been in two different radiator shops.  The first one was in the 90s.  I don't think they would have switched radiators on me, but it's a strange possibility.  That's why I need someone to measure their radiator bolt holes to see if they are 22" apart, or 23 5/8" apart.  I don't think my radiator has a part number on it.  If it did, I could check it to see if it's the same as my Parts Book.  

It's original to the car and it fit fine before I disassembled the car.  I wonder if there is such a thing as U bolts.  That is two bolts that are connected at the top where I could make up the difference?  I did have a 48 Dodge parts car in the 80s and I still have a few 48 Dodge parts, so I checked my D-24 Dodge Parts Book.  The support on the 48 Dodge is different and has a bridge over the top to hold the clam shell hood.  Could I have a Dodge radiator?  Possible maybe, but I don't think so.  I think I sold my Dodge radiator back then.  Remote chance I sold the wrong radiator and kept the Dodge one?  It's worth a check.  Whats the width bolt to bolt on a D-24 Dodge radiator?

Edited by MarcDeSoto

I just measured the spacing on the  bolts on my radiator.  It is a little difficult to measure acurately while it is in the car, but they appear to be close to 22 inches center to center.  I have a 48 Dodge D24. so it may not be the same as a Desoto.

• Like 1

Sharp eyes Robert.  Yes that is a number and maybe a part number.  it is 1254623.  My DeSoto Parts book says my radiator core is 972210!  D-24 Dodge radiator is 973695.

So what does 1254623 fit?  Anyone have multi-year, multi make Parts Manual?  

Oh no.  It looks like that Bakersfield radiator shop switched radiators on me back in the 90s!  And I just spent a lot of money on this radiator.  This is probably for a 50 Plymouth or something?  Thank you Donald for going to the trouble!  Can you tell me the part number on you radiator?  It's on back of the tank.  

Edited by MarcDeSoto

37 minutes ago, MarcDeSoto said:

Anyone out there have a 972210 radiator for sale?  Is that the same part number for a 46-48 Chrysler six?  My friend told me to just bolt up one side and make brackets to take up the 1 1/2" on the other side until I can find the right radiator.  

Same radiator as 1946-48 Chrysler C38 six cylinder..

• Like 1