Need A Lift

Kilgore47

I was going to install a two post lift in the shop.  But it turns out that the concrete is not thick enough to be safe.  I have been using a 7 ton Walker pneumatic end lift to pick up the front of the car and a smaller hydraulic lift to pick up the rear of the car.  The hydraulic lift doesn't go very high and it doesn't have stops.  Been using a 4X6 under the forks of the smaller lift as a stop to make it safe.  

Yesterday I ordered a reconditioned 7 ton Walker pneumatic end lift.  With the pair I will be able to get the car about four feet off the ground.  Way over kill with the pair of 7 ton lifts but I wanted something that is really sturdy if I'm going to be under the car pulling the transmission.  I guess these could be used on the side of the car like a two post lift.  They are portable.  But at almost 600 pounds each I'm sure I'll be cussing it when it needs to be moved. 

The picture is the old lift I'm using now.  It needs a rebuild but I'll do that later.  

Walker 7 Ton.jpg

How are 2 portable lifts any different load bearing wise to the concrete than a 2 post?  That concept has sport death written all over it IMO.

The concrete requirement for two post lifts is mostly due to the leverage created by an unbalanced load.  2-300 lbs too much forward or aft unbalance creates a huge u.plift lever load on the bolts.  And it's really easy to do that, especially with a pickup so little rear weight.

That and the fact that all the load is concentrated on two little rectangles vs the larger base plates of portable lifts.

That said, I don't think I've ever seen one of those dual cylinder end lifts before.  The single version was really common in the 50s and 60s.  First service station/garage I worked in had a couple.  Fast and easy tire changes.  Then bumpers disappeared.  

Edited by kencombs

My two post has about a 3' or 3.5' long attachment to the floor, and likely weighs less than 2-700 pound portable lifts....personally I'd never crawl under a vehicle supported on anything not jackstands (about 1' square on base), a 2 post or 4 post lift.  Especially when yanking out a trans.  But that's my opinion.

man down the street has an Atlas two post lift....and his concrete supposedly poured as specific to the lift requirements.  The biggest problem was he assembled it wrong...long story short I had to repair a new lift, assemble it as it was supposed to be.  These lifts do not impress me and I am very leery working under them.  The use of the dead men is the only way I will work on anything sitting atop the lift and raised in the air.  Just me I guess.  I have two 4 post lifts and I will never get under them till I inspect the latches are fully secured and the pressure is off the ram.  The one lift is an open end unit with no cross beam to duck under and is also very open beneath and between the ramps.  The rolling jacks front and rear make this the most accommodating lift ever.  This unit due to size and design is bolted in place.   I see some of the advantages of a two post but so far I have been able to do all my stuff on either of the 4 posters.  The weight is further displaced to 4 post and the heavier the rating the larger the displacement pad on the uprights.   Most all 4 posters will stand and operate without being bolted down, will roll about even if the car is on the ramps on the average if you have a smooth floor.  The 2 posters are running less in initial cost....metal prices today has put lift cost at a premium.  Some are approaching near 1200.00 or better the price of a couple years ago and more than doubled since my first lift I bought.  I'd buy two tomorrow if I could get them at the same cost of that first unit.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

How are 2 portable lifts any different load bearing wise to the concrete than a 2 post?  That concept has sport death written all over it IMO.

The portable end lift I have and am getting have a large foot print.  One of the largest.  That's why I spent the extra cash for the Walker twin cylinder 7 ton machine. Much larger foot print than a two post lift.  I would prefer a four post lift but there just isn't room.

http://www.phjjacks.com/merchant/graphics/00000001/w-W93692.jpg

the rolling end lift jacks are nice....remember using them back in the day at the shop.  They were unique in that you could roll them to the parking area outside and service a vehicle given the main lift was tied up at the time, but yes...cars did have bumpers back in the day, real metal..!