/ six distributor

kencombs

Started the conversion to electronic.  First order of business was to tear both apart.  Temporarily put the old shaft in the new distributor.  With no advance mechanism as i chucked that end of the shaft into my drill press.  Used the chuck key through the wiring notch, along with some wire ties to hold it and the housing in place.  That became a drive dog turning the housing and all.   10 minutes later using Emery cloth while spinning it (slowly!) and it is 1.060 in diameter.   Will finish assembly later.  

D63A5638-A024-4BDA-9E28-3B86D667895C.jpeg

Edited by kencombs
  • Like 6

I did basically that too except I used a large bolt rather than the dist shaft. Used a file at first and then emery cloth when I got close. Once you get the OD to fit in the block the rest is just reassembly. 

11 minutes ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

Did mine 4 years and 1000s of miles ago, add a GM HEI module and one of my many Petronix Flamethrower coils I've kept.  Never misses a beat

I plan the GM module also.  What coils have others used successfully?  

There are so many options.  GM HEI standalone coil, / six,  etc, etc.  Wonder if it really makes a big difference?

The Slant 6 forum has an entire sticky on this including recommended e-coils if you want that look.  The e-coils are capable of more spark output than the canister coils but the added output is rarely needed.  Few canister coils don't like a full 12-14v on the primary side but most don't care.  I just happened to use the Flamethrower coil because I keep them when I yank bad Pertronix modules out of friends' cars.  A good off-the-shelf canister coil would be a late 70's - early 80's Mopar Lean Burn coil.

https://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=15779

On 5/23/2022 at 4:37 PM, kencombs said:

10 minutes later using Emery cloth while spinning it (slowly!) and it is 1.060 in diameter.  

Am I correct in thinking you need to machine down the body of the /6 dizzy to fit into our flatheads?

I have glanced at a few articles on it and was not aware this was needed.

I thought we just put the stock distributor along with the /6 distributor in a bucket, let them sit over night & magically in the morning you had a working hei dizzy? ?

I guess I better follow along also, since I plan someday down the road to do the same conversion.

dizzy1.jpeg

Seriously I was under the impression that the /6 body was a direct drop in to our 6's ... but we need to swap the shaft for it to work with our oil pump.

I have learned something already with @kencombsfirst post on it.

Then learned more with @Adam H P15 D30 thoughts on the Chevrolet HEI module .... Not sure I want that.

I learned 2 new things today, I better step away from the computer before my brain explodes  :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Los_Control said:

Seriously I was under the impression that the /6 body was a direct drop in to our 6's ... but we need to swap the shaft for it to work with our oil pump.

I have learned something already with @kencombsfirst post on it.

Then learned more with @Adam H P15 D30 thoughts on the Chevrolet HEI module .... Not sure I want that.

I learned 2 new things today, I better step away from the computer before my brain explodes  :)

IMHO, the HEI module is more reliable than the Mopar, heresy I know, but that is my experience. Besides, no resistor needed, the most failure prone item in the Mopar system.  And, they are cheaper and available almost everywhere.

7 hours ago, Los_Control said:

Am I correct in thinking you need to machine down the body of the /6 dizzy to fit into our flatheads?

I have glanced at a few articles on it and was not aware this was needed.

I thought we just put the stock distributor along with the /6 distributor in a bucket, let them sit over night & magically in the morning you had a working hei dizzy? ?

I guess I better follow along also, since I plan someday down the road to do the same conversion.

dizzy1.jpeg

Yes it needs to be reduced but doesn't require a machine shop. I did mine with a large bolt that would hold the body and chuck up in a cordless drill. Put the drill on the table so it was more stable and then set to work with a file and then emery cloth as it got close. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1