P15 body trim

slatgrille

I am missing the 2 short cowl trim chrome pieces plus the 2 Special DeLuxe 'badges' that go under them. There is a guy with a Mopar ebay store that has the chrome trim, but the pictures show no way to attach them to the body. They are plain on the back. He says there are clips I need. There are 2 holes on each side of the car for where they would 'plug' in. I'm not sure what to do. I don't know what type clips I'd use or their proper terminology. Wouldn't the originals have some sort of rods attached to fit into the holes? 

They are not cheap, and I would rather know what I need without having to re-work them to fit. I have asked him about how they attach, and his response was, 'with clips'. I then asked if he had them or where I could find them and his response was, 'yup'. I know it's a business, but more info would certainly go a long way in providing him with a sale, or two, or more perhaps....

(My expertise is with 40's Willys jeeps, so I'm a novice regarding post war Plymouth's as well as other antique vehicles I'm attempting to build.)

Thanks for any help. 

Craig in Maine

IF you were to trust this clip again for your install...you may well be sourcing the playing field for another replacement set.  I suggest an insert that will allow you to bolt these truly in a manner that will not allow them to lift off the spring tabs.  this is a quick and easy mod.  Even if you did not lose these due to clip fatigue or rust, they are easy susceptible to pilfering by an unscrupulous person strolling about an unattended car being displayed.  

Thanks for the pic Mike, had no idea what it looked like. Do you use bolts to attach the clip to the cowl, then feed the strip over it?

Plymouthy Adams...any suggestions for an insert that will prevent someone from absconding with them while I'm away from the car?

Shouldn't they have a 'rod' soldered on the back....that would be a deterrent to would-be thieves....

when we did the repaint on my 39 Desoto I removed the metal brakets and we drill new holes and used plastic trip clips that fit into the trim. The holes in the body were made smaller that the end of the press in button to make sure they were a tight fit.  The plastic eliminated the potential rust issue and also of the bracket rusting away. i have had mine on the car since 1996 for over 26 years.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Do you use bolts to attach the clip to the cowl, then feed the strip over it?

Pretty sure this is how it works......

Yes. Bolts hold clips to cowl then the trim piece snaps onto the clip.

Put the bottom edge of the trim over the clip tongues and then push/pull up on the trim piece and snap it onto the upper tongues.