Radiator out - suggestions?

Dan Hiebert

I briefly pondered monkeying with it to make it fit, wouldn't have taken much.  But I opted to return it.  It looks good and is well made, just off a hair.

• 10 months later...

The scroll of credits at the end of the story...  I ended up with three original radiators in hand.  All of them leaked.  I took each one to radiator shops and they all failed the pressure checks.  None of the shops anywhere in Maine could even get to rebuilding one during 2022, a couple didn't even want to do the work at all.  We ended up taking all three to American Honeycomb in Bowdoin, ME, a shop that specializes in antique and collector auto radiator restoration, for them to make one radiator out of. 

One upper tank had the original equipment Dodge part number on it, and happened to be in the best condition, the other two had Dodge replacement part numbers - one of which was the one in our car, even though I'm pretty sure it was the original radiator, but there's no way to be sure.  Anyway, we opted to have a recored unit built with a close to original style core (the original Diamond pattern is no longer made, the closest pattern, only available from England is an Auburn pattern core).  I took it to American Honeycomb in November and got it back in April - actually a month ahead of schedule.  That was the same basic timeline I got from everywhere I checked in New England.

I'll wager that it looks better than a new original, I was almost afraid to put it back in the car for fear of scratching it or getting it dirty.  Big difference between a mass produced unit, and one that a craftsman paid singular attention to.  I won't go into the cost, it was indeed expensive but cheaper than we had planned for, and I'll never have to worry about it again.  Only downside is that now I'm compelled to clean up the engine bay to keep the radiator in good company.

The proprietor of American Honeycomb is a really good dude but is semi-retired.  You have to call him first, but it doesn't take a whole lot to talk him into doing some work for you.  (The email address earlier in this thread is no longer in use, I did everything by phone.)  He's keen on getting cars back on the road, I believe he was the Classic Car Club of America's New England VP for a while.  I know the shop is a far piece from most of you, but I highly recommend it. 

• Like 2

I had American Honeycomb work on my '39 Plymouth radiator a few years ago. I'm very pleased with his work.

Pete

• Like 1