voltage regulator

normanpitkin

2 hours ago, Kilgore47 said:

I fixed the voltage regulator and generator problem on the 47 P15 with a 6 volt positive ground alternator.  Not original but it cost less and works better.  

Yep, that is the ultimate solution for irritating reg and Gen problems. 

Aren't those original regulators adjustable? Problem is.....does anyone know how to do that anymore. Maybe just a bit of cleaning of the point contacts inside could help...

Just an idea to help keep it original and save time/money if possible.

You know, they have a fusible link inside them as well.

26 minutes ago, slatgrille said:

Aren't those original regulators adjustable? Problem is.....does anyone know how to do that anymore. Maybe just a bit of cleaning of the point contacts inside could help...

Just an idea to help keep it original and save time/money if possible.

Here's how to do it

• Like 1

Remember 1946-48 all three terminals are on one side unlike 1949 and later.

The modern day chinese replacements are not at all reliable.

I would take the part # off your

( VRP4503A is the most common  factory Autolite # used) regulator and search online fir a NOS in the box if you really do need a regulator.

With only 19,000 original miles I doubt it's a major problem.

I have at times grounded out the field terminal for two or three seconds to see if the amp needle will show full swing to the right (charging) while quickly revving up the engine a bit.

This proves the generator is capable of max output and at times will get a non working regulator to work.

Polarizing the generator ....using a jumper wire quickly touched "BAT to ARM" terminals on the regulator with the engine off.

Another way I have got dead regulators working..

Pull the regulator cover..start the engine and make sure the lower cut out relay contacts close with engine revved up a bit.

If they don't lightly push them closed with engine above idle...they should stay closed....generator should be charging....if still not lightly touch the other two contact set...might work.

Otherwise trying to gently clean up the contacts in the regulator should be done...I would not try to te-adjust the points unless absolutely necessary on a factory installed "Autolite" regulator.

Follow "Mr Tech" in the filmstrip if you do adjust!

Nothing like factory settings and quality parts.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

hi, yes just had the generator  rebuilt and the ammeter also ,the regulator output is varying wildly whilst at constant revs or even at ticker ,seems like its the culprit to my electrician ,just bought a NOS one and will report when i get it.

• Like 2