Brake backing plate-Cam pin removal?

FarmerJon

Tearing down a set of '53 DeSoto brakes to refurbish for my Plymouth, need to sandblast everything. 

Can the cam pins be removed? The manual only details adjusting their height, but makes no mention of them being removable, and the cam side doesn't have anything obvious to grab onto. 

Any tips or tricks? 

IMG_20220519_141052447~2.jpg

IMG_20220519_141116908.jpg

I believe if you peak under that spring steel tab you'll find they are riveted together. Technically I suppose you could take them apart but it's not really worth it 

There is a small rubber pad under there, I will try to gently pull it tomorrow and take a peek.

The cam bolt is difficult to turn due to corrosion. Also when I media blast the backing plate, abrasive will likely get lodged in between, making it worse.

They are not removable. I am on my 3rd Mopar and the process I follow is to clean up backing plate, pressure clean behind cam, paint, then apply a small amount of penetrating oil to the cam on both sides of the backing plate and a spot of lube under the brake clip, then work the cam back and forth until it frees up a bit. it should still be hard to turn as you don't want it to shift in use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1