Reading Spark plugs (with pictures!)

OUTFXD

Cleaning up the head trying to solve the leaking spark plug issue and I decided to check the spark plugs.

Plugs 1 2 5 & 6 showed a some black soot but the insulator was dusted with grey ash.  As I recall this is normal.

plugs 1 2  5  & 6.jpg

plugs 3 & 4 showed the same black soot around the edges,  but the insulator showed some TAN ash.  I dont remember seeing that before. Could someone with more experience (and a better memory) tell me if this is normal?

plug 3 & 4.jpg

1 hour ago, OUTFXD said:

Sweet! thank you!

what plug type and number are you running for this car? I would suggest that you get another set of the same just to have as spares. If they are a regular plug then set the gap at 25.

A friend of mine is running Autolite 295 sparkplugs and has found then at his local walmart. They cost around $1.85 each. They have the chrome base and are a replacement for the Champion J8.  Whole lot cheaper than getting them off the internet.  Just some thought on sparkplugs.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

You're looking for a nice light brown/coffee latte colour on the porcelain, electrode and ground strap. 

• Thanks 1