Steering column thread info

Burtbaccarat

So I found a NOS premier brand 3 bolt steering wheel adapter. Pulled original wheel and I think somehow either marred the top thread with the puller. Unless it’s egged by the SLIGHTEST amount, but I doubt it….

move reied filing a cone into the top just to get the steering wheel nut back on but no joy…

it looks to be 3/4” , but what’s the pitch? I’ve contemplated running a 3/4” die up and down the thing, but have a 10 and a 16 die….

or you know….going nuclear and tac welding the stupid adapter to the column…lol

65B8B6E2-1813-4CA3-A4A3-A10CAB4CDC64.jpeg

2BB72957-2177-4B23-961E-50A1B0CAD707.jpeg

Edited by Burtbaccarat

I put that same kit and a pretty glittery red wheel on my 51 Cranbrook in 1968.

I took it ? off years and years ago..ha ha

34 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

I put that same kit and a pretty glittery red wheel on my 51 Cranbrook in 1968.

I took it ? off years and years ago..ha ha

Lol funny you say that….a red wheel sans glitter will be going on this one….lol…but my interior has been done in black and red…just wanted a smaller, retro LOOKING wheel

1A3C3329-0A63-47FF-A5F3-0601EBB79B7E.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sniper said:

I can't say what thread pitch your steering column is, but the axle nuts are 3/4-16.  You could use that to tell you if your steering wheel nut is -16 or -10.

Yeah, it’s gotta be 10 then….I tried the column nut on the axle to make sure the nut wasn’t the problem….it happily started but came to a screeching halt after half a spin or so….

so I’d assume I could use a 3/4 10 die and hope for the best…at the very least buy another nut 3/4 10 and have it just in case

So I bought a couple ham nuts, and chased the marred threads with the 3/4-16…..worked like a charm……now that the new wheel is on, I still have to make it pretty, but I’m getting a lot of slop….i must’ve omitted a bushing of sorts when I wanted to mock it up….that’s now what im worried about…..now that the new wheel is on, I still want it closer to the dash….

is there a tech thread on shortening the column? Or finding a suitable substitute? From what I understand, the column is built into the steering box, no?

• Like 1