diodes

DJK

You don't need 45 amp diodes to operate the indicator light, those are way overkill.

A 5 amp diode will work, the voltage rating on a diode is for maximum voltage, not minimum.  Minimum is 0.7v, that's the nature of a diode.  Just don't use a zener diode, that's another animal. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sniper said:

You don't need 45 amp diodes to operate the indicator light, those are way overkill.

A 5 amp diode will work, the voltage rating on a diode is for maximum voltage, not minimum.  Minimum is 0.7v, that's the nature of a diode.  Just don't use a zener diode, that's another animal. 

This is how I arrived at 45 amps: bulb = .8 ohms divided by 6 volts = .14           6 volts divided by .14 = 43. Ohms Law- amp =volts divided by resistance. Thanks for the responses.

10 minutes ago, Sniper said:

You calculated watts, not amps.  If you look up the spec sheet on the bulb it will tell you the current draw.

If you give me the bulb number I can look it up for you.

6251 is the bulb. This is way to complicated for my 68 yo brain. Thanks Sniper, you're the best.

I found this @ ohms law calculator 

Current (I) = 7.5 ampere (A)

Power (P) = 45 watt (W)

Steps:
I = 
V

R
6 volt

.8 ohm
7.5 ampere (A)
P = 
V2

R
(6 volt)2

.8 ohm
45 watt (W)
Edited by DJK

Sniper, will these be OK? 

• MCIGICM 20Pcs 15SQ045 Schottky,15amp Diode Axial Schottky Blocking Diodes
Click image to open expanded view

MCIGICM 20Pcs 15SQ045 Schottky,15amp Diode Axial Schottky Blocking Diodes

$5.99$5.99

Get Fast, Free Shipping with Amazon Prime

• 20 Pcs 15SQ045 / Forward Current : 15 A / Maxixum Repetitive Peak Reverse Voltage : 45 V
  • Meterial:Si;High surge current capability.
  • Low leakage and forward voltage drop;Low power loss, high efficiency.
  • Maximum Average Forward Current: 15 A MP.Forward Current (at DC10A): 0.55V.
  • All products are tested for stability, consistency and reliability. Ensure product excellence.

Specifications for this item
Brand Name MCIGICM
Part Number 15SQ045
Size 20 Piece
UNSPSC Code 32111500

Way over kill, it's designed to handle 15 amps and for it's intended use, by you, it's not really what it was designed to do, but it will work.    Something like this is more than sufficient, and under $0.50 each.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Comchip-Technology/1N5400-G?qs=2qJf6qQ4IOJd%2FUtHzWFhYg%3D%3D

17 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

why not just simply use the three prong flasher as it was designed for this very application of a single monitoring signal indicator.

That would never work.......waaay too practical........  ?

• Confused 1

Well, with all the New thingies on cars we often forget which way we were turning (while on our phones) and remembering to look at the turn signal handle as to which direction to move the turn handle to turn off signal after completing a turn, the single flashing light on the gage is not enough for many these days?.  ?

I personally been way down the rabbit hole of modernizing a old car to the point to where I never finished it after many years, So I am way guilty. ?. Still a project car in my garage to be finished???

The car I recently sold to a good friend (50 Ply. 4 dr.) did Not suffer from extreme updates and was Finished and driven for several years. Still very driveable and driven by my friend.

DJ

12 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

why not just simply use the three prong flasher as it was designed for this very application of a single monitoring signal indicator.

Thanks PA, I just went out and spliced into the flasher, works great. Guess I was over thinking it. My car has never utilized the t/s indicator on the speedo head, just the indicators on the switch itself. Thanks again.

12 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I failed to look in my manual for the wire diagram.

On 5/14/2022 at 8:16 AM, Sam Buchanan said:

That would never work.......waaay too practical........  ?

Seems there was some confusion about my post...it was an attempt at being clever about stating the obvious that a three prong flasher is exactly what is needed to run a single indicator lamp.

15 hours ago, Sam Buchanan said:

Seems there was some confusion about my post...it was an attempt at being clever about stating the obvious that a three prong flasher is exactly what is needed to run a single indicator lamp.

It may be obvious to someone who has played with these old cars for decades, but not to someone that has only been at it a couple of years.