218ci with no pilot bushing hole.

49DODGEBOY

Decided to drop an engine I have into a 1950 Plymouth with standard 3-spd.

My 218 has a fluiddrive behind it when I got it. I had since put a t-5 behind it in my Coronet.

I am 99% sure the crank was not drilled for a pilot bushing and I wanted to use the stock Plymouth trans behind it.

Is there any way around this?  I do not have it all broke down yet. Just preparing myself for the disappointment as I really do not want to look for another running engine.

any help greatly appreciated.

Rich

work around for almost every situation...some factory some easy fabrication...with the T5 in place, I would guess for sure you have a pilot bushing of a sort...thing is, you will need to break it down for actual measurements as the T5 will be a special install...

you speaking two engines above....what combo is NOT in the car at this time?  The stock 50 Plymouth should have a bushing in place also as stock it never got a fluid drive and was always std. 3 speed.

The 50 was all stock, just worn out. I could see through a main bearing.

The donor motor is a good running 218, I put the t5 behind it and used a roller bearing in a machined plug pressed into the flywheel. ( Like DC )

It was 10+ years ago though so I am not 100% sure of the crank but am pretty sure it was not drilled as I was unable to use the brass special bushing in the Curtis Kit.

Well its:  T142*58565

I have been told a 218ci from a 48-49 truck 

Edited by 49DODGEBOY

18 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

The 218 CID 8 hole flange cranks were used with FD so didn't require a pilot bushing bore. Any 218 I've seen with a standard trans had a 4 hole flange. 

yep, that is all confirmed now.  But I will make it work :)

• 2 weeks later...

The FD coupling was an option starting in the 1849-50 "B-2" 1/2 thru 1 ton and Route van trucks.

The "Truck-O-Matic" M-6 came out in 1953.

Guys, really did not want to start a debate here. I am not a Mopar purist and I have what it had in it when I bought it.

Just for information purposes, the crank actually had a factory installed plug in it. The factory pilot bushing was behind it also.

See photos.  Its all cleaned up and ready to be mated to the "t" engine.

5-20 crank plug.jpeg

5-30 trans clean up 1950 Plymouth.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

How awesome is that? Easy fix once you realize it's just a plug. 

WELLLLLLLLLLL Found out too late :)  but still have a fix and definitely learned a lesson. Hopefully it will help someone out in the future.

5-2022 short shaft.jpeg

Edited by 49DODGEBOY

Wow! That was a plug...never seen that before!

I have never seen a crank on any flattie never drilled either.

9 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Wow! That was a plug...never seen that before!

I have never seen a crank on any flattie never drilled either.

yep   I screamed bloody murder when it fell out...........   "learning experience"

• Like 1