Freewheel overdrive?

thebelvedereman

So I've got a question, I have had many 30s – 50s Mopars, mainly Plymouth's, this is my second 1948 Dodge, it has a 3-speed manual/fluid Drive, not the high low, semi-automatic, and it has what appears to be an Overdrive cable, it's on the bottom of the dashboard, basically looks like a manual choke cable, but it goes into the top of the transmission bellhousing right at the back of the engine, I've heard a few of you guys talking about the "Freewheel Overdrive" and I was wondering if that's what this is, haven't had it over 20 miles an hour, and the cable feels like it's frozen solid, I cannot pull it out no matter how much pressure I put on it

Edited by thebelvedereman

17 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Haven't seen that on mine. It has a 3 spd column shift with Fluid Drive.

Yep, so did my last one, this one also has 3 speed column shift manual fluid Drive, I haven't had the car long, and it was a pretty big project when I got it, I never even noticed the knob until today when I was painting the bottom of the dashboard, but the engine is out of a 1957 DeSoto, so I'm wondering if the transmission is too, like I said I'm mainly a Plymouth guy, and they never had the fluid drive, only the 3-speed manual until 1954, so this is throwing me off a little bit

I too have a 48 Dodge with a 3 speed and fluid drive and have never heard of that feature.  Since you say the knob is mounted below the dash it makes  me wonder if it was added later.  Could it be a manual choke knob that was added then later not used, allowing the loose cable end to rest on the bell housing?   Does the cable actually go into the bell housing and attach to something?  

You need to post up some pictures of the transmission from both sides and not too close.  We need to see where the cable attaches, and what if any  iassemblies are attached and what wiring exists going to the transmission.

55 minutes ago, greg g said:

You need to post up some pictures of the transmission from both sides and not too close.  We need to see where the cable attaches, and what if any  iassemblies are attached and what wiring exists going to the transmission.

I will get a picture as soon as I can, but the cable goes directly into the top of the bellhousing where it curves up to meet the engine

1 hour ago, busycoupe said:

I too have a 48 Dodge with a 3 speed and fluid drive and have never heard of that feature.  Since you say the knob is mounted below the dash it makes  me wonder if it was added later.  Could it be a manual choke knob that was added then later not used, allowing the loose cable end to rest on the bell housing?   Does the cable actually go into the bell housing and attach to something?  

I'll have to double-check that today, I just gave it a quick look, but the car has a factory manual choke mounted by the headlight, throttle/cruise control, and ignition switches, so I doubt that

4 minutes ago, thebelvedereman said:

I'll have to double-check that today, I just gave it a quick look, but the car has a factory manual choke mounted by the headlight, throttle/cruise control, and ignition switches, so I doubt that

As far as I know 48 Dodge did not have a factory installed manual choke.  Their were fitted with Sisson automatic chokes.  However, the sisson choke could be tempermental amd many owners later installed manual chokes. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, thebelvedereman said:

......but the engine is out of a 1957 DeSoto, so I'm wondering if the transmission is too, like I said I'm mainly a Plymouth guy....

Is it correct to assume engine is some size of Hemi V8? Take a few pictures of the transmission, with a custom engine swap almost anything is in the the realm of possibility.

Maybe a overdrive trans someone put in was removed leaving just the cable stuffed up over the bell housing.

• Like 1

it is so easy to tell if the trans is an OD unit by looking for the mounted solenoids on the passenger side...Look for an R10 cast into the housing very low on the side of the case.  Could be a cable for a many uses....from throttle lock, choke, bull horn, external aftermarket heater control valve....the list goes on.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

it is so easy to tell if the trans is an OD unit by looking for the mounted solenoids on the passenger side...Look for an R10 cast into the housing very low on the side of the case.  Could be a cable for a many uses....from throttle lock, choke, bull horn, external aftermarket heater control valve....the list goes on.

It already has an original throttle cable, an original temperature control, and an original choke cable, but you are definitely right it could be just about anything, I'm going to have to get a better look at it today, I just thought maybe it was something special that I didn't know about and somebody else might have known offhand

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

without pictures....and just a cable point in X direction...this is all just a speculation.....you truly need to look, if you and see other things not quite what you used to seeing, post a pic....

as soon as I get home from work I'm going to check it out, and I will update everyone

8 hours ago, busycoupe said:

For those of you who played along, busycoupe you were the grand prize winner, I feel pretty stupid right now, I should have investigated further before posting, it is just a pull cable sitting on top of the bellhousing, only God knows what it was originally for, it could have been an after-market heater or something else ?

Resized_20220509_170935.jpeg

Resized_20220509_170853.jpeg

Resized_20220509_170830.jpeg

Resized_20220509_170907.jpeg

Too thin a cable for OD...Western Auto type choke cable...ha ha.

Who ever put the engine in didn't do too complete or good of a job and also broke the temp guage?

Geez...