Any starter/solenoid tips?

Chris-R

So having finally got around to installing my new fuel tank, it's time to get involved with the starter motor.

At the very least I have a stuck solenoid, plus what feels like a slipped disc. That thing is heavy... ?

Can't say I know what I'm doing, but my plan is to try and fix it on the kitchen table. Any tips or advice would be appreciated before I get stuck in.

Screenshot 2022-05-08 at 13.06.41.png

Screenshot 2022-05-08 at 13.06.33.png

Having said that, the solenoid seems to move very freely when manipulated by hand on the table - leading me to wonder if it was stuck at all...  all though on the car it didn't seem to want to move even with current applied directly across the terminals.

Screenshot 2022-05-08 at 13.06.53.png

The biggest gremlin with starting problems is usually dirty cable connections and bad grounds.  The cables need to be large enough also.  Before you tear into it check and clean all of the battery and cable connections.

• Like 1

Hey Chris-

I tore down my starter and reassembled it. Rewrapped the windings with fresh tape, cleaned and lubed everything, painted it, nearly smashed my teeth out trying to heft it back into place. Pressed in new Oilite bushings, had the armature checked at a starter shop. It can be done. First, I'd do what Busycoupe suggests, and do some level 1 cleaning, and just see if you can get it to spin on the bench. I'd carefully disassemble the solenoid, remove the square cover, clean all contacts, put it back together. Remove the brush inspection cover, carefully clean out all the crud. Mine was loaded with oil caked gunk, from years of the leaky oil filter dripping on it. Be warned, if you get it to spin, it's gonna kick HARD and want to fly off the bench, so tie it down. It'll also draw a load of current, so don't do it for long. The square solenoid is made of unobtanium, you're going to pay through the nose for a new one, so it's worth saving.

You're missing a rubber boot that goes over the solenoid plunger. I was, too, and the one I yanked from a wreck didn't have one, either. I'll bet they only last 5,000 miles. I kludged one up out of a new one for a Chevy starter, but it ripped it to pieces in use--it wasn't long enough to hold on. Thinking of using some bike inner tube, at least temporarily.

The square threaded thingy that screws into the plunger and connects to the yoke lever is calibrated, or supposed to be. Follow the procedure in the shop manual when you reassemble.

If you do decide to tear into it, check my posts on the homemade pole shoe screw remover, and links to generator rebuilding. In the last link, go to the last post where I posted a pic of the starter shop manual for the correct orientation of the yoke shoes. That bit of info took me days to track down. Getting the final assembly of the yoke lever together was horrible. You're trying to deal with the yoke spring tension with one hand, which is considerable, while trying to align the parts with the other. That job took hours of swearing, I don't remember how I finally got it done, I think I slipped into a coma. I'm sure there was some special tool or bit of knowledge that would've made this part of the job easy, but I didn't have either.

http://legacy.1944gpw.com/c-93-G503_WWII_Jeep_6_volt_Autolite_Generator_Rebuild_Restore.aspx

Edited by ratbailey
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 4:37 PM, ratbailey said:

Hey Chris-

I tore down my starter and reassembled it. Etc.

Thanks for this - some good insights. I may well address the solenoid and - if it spins - put the starter back 'as is' for now. Must overcome the urge to take everything to pieces all at once... 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rallyace said:

I have found that the kitchen table is not the best place to work on car parts unless you are single. If that is the case, go for it and the dishwasher makes a great parts cleaner.

Why not? It's a terrific table! ?

1 hour ago, Chris-R said:

Why not? It's a terrific table! ?

Better than the kitchen table, if you have one of those steel mesh backyard patio tables that you stick the umbrella in, the crud gets forced through the holes when you hose down whatever you're cleaning. If the table's big enough, there's a better chance your wife won't catch you as she chases you around it.

Seriously, though, I've never regretted the money spent on my Black and Decker Workmate, an old one with the cast aluminum base. That thing is the Swiss army knife of benches...it's a bench, a vise, a step stool. Just don't use it as a step stool if you plunked a big hunk of plywood on it, and then try to step on the part hanging out in midair. 

Edited by ratbailey

36 minutes ago, ratbailey said:

Better than the kitchen table, if you have one of those steel mesh backyard patio tables that you stick the umbrella in, the crud gets forced through the holes when you hose down whatever you're cleaning. If the table's big enough, there's a better chance your wife won't catch you as she chases you around it.

Seriously, though, I've never regretted the money spent on my Black and Decker Workmate, an old one with the cast aluminum base. That thing is the Swiss army knife of benches...it's a bench, a vise, a step stool. Just don't use it as a step stool if you plunked a big hunk of plywood on it, and then try to step on the part hanging out in midair. 

Then you probably know about Ron Hickman... https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-news/ron-hickman-personal-collection-beaulieu/

• Like 1