11th Annual // International Work On Your Truck Day!!!

#BER ELEVEN!!!!! NUMBER 11!!!!!  Freakin' #11 IWOYTD!!!

This year it will be on MAY 14th

The Five Rules:

1.  Work on your Truck. Not a Hybred, not a Moepee'd , not a  Ferd or a Chevee......well, unless any of them are a truck, then I guess its Ok.

2.  Report what you did to the Forum.....not the girl at the post office, she doesn't care, she's just trying to get the junk mail sent to you.

3.  Post a picture of what you did. Its all good, sitting in it counts.....but at least hold a hammer or something.

4.  Explain how you got the truck, what inspires you about it.

5.  Try to share the days experience as soon as you can!!!

Sharing is caring!!!.....Believe it or not, your story could inspire one of us to get back to it! Your story could help build another truck!!!

Good luck!!!! PLAN FOR THE DAY!!!

Bonus rule:

6.  Show us a few pictures of what you plan to work on before the big day. 

48D post-340-0-53920100-1389938209_thumb.jpg

Edited by 48Dodger
  • Like 1

Excellent Tim, you about to let this one slip by.   I promise to do more than just hose the tires this year.  I think the date picked I should basically have the shop opened up and while I am never sure from day to day just what will take place, the first real work slated for the panel van is the removal of the 3.9 pumpkin for the install of the newly located 3.7 pumpkin.  The intent of this build is a cruiser over anything work related.  At best it may get adapted a bit for a place to bed down when out of town or swap meets etc.  Calendar is marked, clock is ticking.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 48Dodger said:

Bonus rule:

6.  Show us a few pictures of what you plan to work on before the big day. 

I have two projects in the works for this day

if it is not raining, I’ll be working on the interior of the HH (preparation for new interior)

A0B25ECC-3369-4FA9-A863-E4E0A6CECE6E.jpeg.6067fb472b13d7f39bdc0c605014193b.jpeg

and if it’s raining, I’ll be cleaning and reassembling the transmission top to the B4D

73A4BFC2-3A95-4D59-8900-6941BDDE7720.jpeg.52531a8a4b02c218675743f54eb74cfe.jpeg

I have a high pitched noise in the transmission and Merle made me pull the top after we went for a ride at the “Q” ?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Brent B3B said:

... and Merle made me pull the top after we went for a ride at the “Q” ?

I made you do it? Makes it sound like I stood over you with a whip until you got it done. ?

Did you find anything interesting in there?  

• Haha 2

Varnish, tar like stuff and kinda worn parts

but, I know it is the top, cause I switched with the one from Jimbob and no noise. 

• Thanks 1

So I”m thinking water pump. The original has quite a bit of play. I’ve had one for a couple months but have been focused on the brakes. I’d post a picture- but everyone knows what a water pump looks like. 

Maybe a one of the shift forks is not positioned right because of a worn or damaged detent shift ball/spring or shift rail in the cover. Maybe a bent even a fork from power shifting?

This would let the fork rub on one side of a syncro clutch sleeve or a gear shift fork groove.

This possibly causing the noise.

We're hosting our car club here next Saturday so today was my IWOYTD. Spent a couple hours trying to fix the 47. I was hoping to post a video of it running again. We got close but in the end didn't quite make it. Initially no spark was the coil. After a couple minutes of messing with it the coil was HOT. Swapped that out and still had irregular spark. The dist cap was missing about 1/2 the bottom lip so it wouldn't say seated properly even though it'd been running before with the same cap. I had 3 extra caps all for the other style dist!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 48Dodger said:

Where's the pictures ED? It was my understanding there would be pictures.?

48D

Do you want a picture of the burnt up coil or the dist cap with half the bottom lip missing??

7 hours ago, Tooljunkie said:

but wife’s to-do’s may quelch my plans for the day. 

You should “call in sick” ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ok, the rooster is up and it is now daylight in the swamp....no real rain last evening  and a low probability of rain today....so that means it will probably pour.  Nursing a bit of coffee as I am truly not much of a morning person except for catching up on my journal and the forums.  Hope you all can get to the shop and do a bit to the breast in captivity...good luck, now get out there....oh, be safe...!

Didn’t have much on the agenda with my truck for today. I was planning a bit of a garage cleaning and organizing so that we could get back to work on my wife’s Metropolitan. But since it is IWOYTD I figured I’d start by cleaning off the truck. It tends to suffer from flat surface syndrome. Then I decided to fire it up just to hear it run. That’s when I noticed that it did need a little maintenance. The battery was dead in my clock. I swapped out the AA battery and set the clock. As I was setting the clock I looked at my shop clock for reference and realized that one needed a battery too. ? Before and after photos included to satisfy the rules of IWOYTD. I should have taken the before pic last week before I made a cardboard run to the city recycle center. It was piled up with boxes. Only 1 has collected since then. 
9F9D0DA7-F0D6-4F38-9782-06F78AA58CC5.jpeg.46cb0429553b8dc5ddfb5581dc7d85b8.jpeg

52F05690-1E19-4885-82FD-0AB19F55AE52.jpeg.2576bd0ec1295008cd9b9c7d8c3871c0.jpeg

• Like 3

I did not get as prepared as I would have liked. Was trying to get the lawn mowed this week, first time of the season ... seems the lawn mower wanted some maintenance.

I still need to finish my pipe saw horses for the bed to sit on. So this morning am mowing the grass, I am way past due on feeding the garden .... wont take long.

0514221046a.jpg.9e692a82eb98c1b63e301d635ea71d85.jpg

Then I have the rest of the day to play with the truck .... wifey has dinner detail   :)

Yesterday afternoon I did juggle the cars around and freed up the driveway, Sure get a smile when she sits for weeks or months & fires right up after she pumps some fuel into the carb.

Got her tail in the air and started removing the main bolts that hold the bed down. Only broke 1 of 5 so far  ?

I would be tickled pink if I got the rear fenders, running boards , bed hold down bolts off today. Possible but we will see how far I get

0514220747.jpg.8ae4e17a944d0b474fb323f05d53b0e2.jpg

• Like 3

While not a major milestone it is a task needed done nonetheless.  I pulled the 3.9 hog head out and replaced it with a 3.7.  Cut a new gasket for the banjo to carrier, all in all basic paint by number step by step process...few pictures....now of course some will be confused by this high tech carrier and axles.  (yuk yuk snicker snicker)

first is 3.9 in place driveshaft just disconnect, then the axle(s) slipped from out of the side gear (remove the drum and one screw) the open banjo and lastly the 3.7 in place buttoned up and the driveshaft back in place.  

Now comes the hardest part of the job, cleaning up the area and putting things away.....

IMG_4716.JPG

IMG_4717.JPG

IMG_4718.JPG

IMG_4720.JPG

• Like 1

Had a pretty good day to day working on the truck :)

Got the following tasks accomplished:

* Sealed the rear lower inside edge of the cab

* Sealed the rubber gasket that covers the opening for the filler neck through the floor

* Installed the seat frame

* Installed the lower seat cushion

* Solved the problem with the thermostat housing leak, hint it was my fault :(

* Cleaned and installed the running boards

It was a really great feeling to actually sit in the truck for the first time in 26 years :D

I may get a few more things done this evening and will update this post if I do.  Deals for the above can be found on my build thread.

Brad

Edited by bkahler
  • Like 1

So I got the water pump replaced, replaced the failed open thermostat, and replaced the stuck cab heater valve. From what I could see the water passages in this truck look nice and clean. The end of the water distribution tube that I could see didn't have a speck of rust on it. It was I think silver- though I guess it could be brass- the light wasn't good. I'm guessing the antifreeze was maintained pretty well in this truck over the past 70

years. Before and after pics added.

I got this truck just in December. Was a truck for a cranberry farm. Spent its whole life hauling sand for the cranberry bogs in Massachusetts. I quite enjoy the hint for parts for this. It's quite a challenge sometimes. My next challenge is modifying the pictured valve to use as vacuum motor for the two speed  rear end. The one there works but the spring is so rusted I think it may not have enough oomf to always push it back into low.

x

374780E4-0C0A-4CBE-8C0C-2AB32782AECC.jpeg

EFB3EBC4-6854-4745-9085-75D5252BB50F.jpeg

D14B443B-D8CE-455D-AA61-1CB1EB58BABD.jpeg

• Like 2

And just like that, I got shut down on IWOYTD .... Some idiot advertised a working freezer 10 blocks away for $50. I have been holding off buying a new one for awhile. the wife has been pushing me  to buy one. Just like that IWOYTD got pushed to the side ....

I now have the perfect little freezer .... Yeah I keep pblaster on the dryer, Wife does not like it, I find just a squirt on the dryer sheets does wonders for my clothes.

0514221601.jpg.7c77a190582d485fef12b464effb3131.jpg

• Haha 1

My day started with my granddaughter' 6th birthday party ?.....now that I'm home, I can finish with IWOYTD!! priorities, priorities....

48D

• Like 2

a few days ago, I removed the oil pressure gauge and part of its pressure line from a parts truck to compare fittings.  I verified that the compression fitting used for the oil gauge is not the one from McMaster-Carr, tho it's really close:

sm20220511_085710.jpg.eb3e01223da8cbb920f8c3f824a7d0d3.jpg

did some research and may have found possible sources for this hard-to-find fitting, but am awaiting confirmation...spent the actual 11th annual IWOYTD "putting out fires" :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Another shot of a OE oil guage tube and compression nut/ferrule.

20220508_182718_compress19.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

No photos. Rad fan switch install was a win fail win. Found a 3/8 “ plug the switch would go into, didnt discover it was shallow until i broke the nub on the switch. Switch was a snap disc so i threaded it and loctited a screw in. Used an adapter to gain length and switch is in. 
Then attempt seat belt install, wife has been asking for one. So i obliged.  Seats are from a pt cruiser, as are the belts. 3 pieces of flat stock, some bracing and i think i have a good solid mount.