'51 half ton restoration complete.

Thought I would share a few photos of my recently restored 1951 half ton. The work took twenty some years to plan and two years to complete. While the job was in progress, I discovered this web site and asked a few questions on your forum and received plenty of feedback, which was very much appreciated. I have to thank the master mechanic (and friend) that did the work and tolerated my presence. I learned a lot in the process !

I've just received the safety check certification. The truck is now licensed for the road and will be used as a daily driver, so long as it doesn't rain, snow, blow debris, dark clouds, traffic . . . . . .  ?

Thanks again for your enthusiastic help on the forum fellows.

Terry

• Original L shape, 218 cu. in. engine.
  • Three speed (on the tree).
  • Electrical converted to 12 volt negative ground, with 12 volt alternator.
  • Added front wheel disc brakes.
  • added seat belts.

image_50769409.JPG

IMG-0559.jpg

IMG-0654.jpg

IMG-0573.jpg

IMG-0670.jpg

Edited by Terrence
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Wow, that looks fantastic! I've been dreaming of making mine look that good for about 24 years now so there may be hope for it yet!

6 hours ago, Dodgeboy49 said:

Wow, that looks fantastic! I've been dreaming of making mine look that good for about 24 years now so there may be hope for it yet!

Thankyou Dodgeboy49. That's quite the corral of vintage wheels you have collected!

That is a beautiful truck. What did you use for wood in the bed? I like the black finish also. I priced out white oak as a possibility for my '41 and that stuff is up there. $13.00 ft for 1x10. Engine looks great too.  

17 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

Well it is a good thing tomorrow is IWOYTD, @Terrence has a opportunity to correct this right away  ???

You're a week early! It's the 14th

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PT Moe said:

That is a beautiful truck. What did you use for wood in the bed? I like the black finish also. I priced out white oak as a possibility for my '41 and that stuff is up there. $13.00 ft for 1x10. Engine looks great too.  

Thanks PT Moe. I used rough cut white ash for the bed and left the rough side up.

• Like 1

Oh, your truck is outstanding!  That interior shot makes me want to sit inside and drive.  Do you have to double clutch ?  Btw, paint is perfect as well as that bed !

10 hours ago, Rodney_Hamon said:

Oh, your truck is outstanding!  That interior shot makes me want to sit inside and drive.  Do you have to double clutch ?  Btw, paint is perfect as well as that bed !

Thanks Rodney Hamon, there is no need to double clutch.

My favorite is the roadside markers.....I collect them for no good reason.....they look pretty clean and original.

48D 

7 hours ago, 48Dodger said:

My favorite is the roadside markers.....I collect them for no good reason.....they look pretty clean and original.

48D 

I refinished the bracket as it was quite rusted but the roadside markers are original paint, I haven't touched them.  Its raining here this morning so I took these photos in the garage for you.

T.

unnamed (3).jpg

unnamed (4).jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 5:41 AM, Terrence said:

Thanks Rodney Hamon, there is no need to double clutch.

1075958596_51Dodgebygarage.jpg.b4b40a82b5d8f896597b0e36305f1a84.jpg

Terrific looking '51 (I'm a little partial, as mine is also a 51); however, I always need to double clutch. Wondering how it is you don't. I also, like you, have the three on a tree).