New here, P15 horn button removal

slatgrille

Hello, I have a '48 P15 Special Deluxe with a horn issue. When I turn on the ignition switch, they start blasting!. I put in a new relay as the other was broken (did the same thing). I now need to trace the 'shorting' through the wiring in the steering column. Unfortunately, I cant remove the ring holding the button on the steering wheel. I've tried prying it, but am only chipping small edges of the wheel center and don't want to ruin the steering wheel. Any ideas on how to get this thing off?

Thanks so much for any help!

Craig in Maine

I believe there are two styles of horn button, one piece and two piece.

Mine was one piece, and had screws holding it from the underside of the steering wheel.

My horn was also blasting when connected, it was the power wire broken going up into the steering column.

Thanks guys. I looked at the manual I have but it didn't show the style set up I've got, so I don't know if it's one piece or two. I have the one piece horn ring that is connected in 3 places to the center of the wheel. It has a thin metal ring with a center plastic button holding it in place. The center plastic has the printed 'crest' in black/red color. I'll check it out later and post what I find.

Craig

The plastic center piece comes out with the round chrome piece when you remove the 3 screws from the back side of the wheel.  Sounds like you may need to acquire a better parts manual and repair manual for your car…. Whether it is a DeLuxe or Special DeLuxe, parts and diagrams for both models are shown.

Thanks BobT....I found the 3 screws on the back of the wheel. The manual I'm using is the 'Plymouth Service Manual' by Chrysler Corp. It covers P15 through P25 which seems too many years to me. I can't seem to find any manual that is specific to the P15 from years '46-'48. They must have printed one during the production run before the others were created.

Craig