Cold start Chrysler 8 - open exhaust

48 New Yorker

I've replaced the exhaust on my New Yorker, but before buttoning up everything, thought I'd listen to the sweet open exhaust.  Kinda reminds me of an old Chris Craft...(which also used Chrysler 8's, among others).  The slight rap/squeak sound is a failing water pump...also soon to be replaced. 

see video link below

• Like 7

Here's my wide open 6 cylinder for comparison. The 6 seems to sound like it lopes along, compared to the even balanced tones from the 8. Certainly a little different cadence.

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, 48 New Yorker said:

It's bone stock rated at 135hp, with the 2bbl Stromberg carb....not exactly thrifty on gas...

The factory Carter 1 bbl on late 1947 to 48 Chrysler eights has 135 hp.

The 1946 to mid 1947 Chysler eight with the Stromberg AAV 2 bbl carb has 140 hp.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Hello Keith:

Both the 6 and 8 remind me of an old radial engine biplane starting up..... a mechanical symphony.  I have 2 additional straight eights, a Buick 248 and 263 which "burble" through their mufflers at idle and are different sounding than the Chrysler. 

If you view the original "Topper" w/Cary Grant - 1937, the custom bodied car has a great exhaust note, probably due to side pipes and a minimal exhaust (if any). They used a Century/Roadmaster chassis with a 320ci straight 8.

If I could locate a 6V electric exhaust cutout, I'd be very temped to install one in each of the 8's.

ps, Really like your vids, I've used them to diagnose some of my own "gremlins".

ghows-LK-83d28091-c501-5e4c-e053-0100007f2396-febd2db0.webp

ghows-LK-83d28091-c501-5e4c-e053-0100007f2396-66db16f6.webp

Edited by 48 New Yorker
spelling

2 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

The factory Carter 1 bbl on late 1947 to 48 Chrysler eights has 135 hp.

The 1946 to mid 1947 Chysler eight with the Stromberg AAV 2 bbl carb has 140 hp.

DodgeB4ya:

I've also read that the Stromberg was '46-'47 only....so why does my '48 have one? -- unless it was installed post purchase (unlikely).  I wrote to Chrysler historical for some documentation (punch card and correspondence) and received the following below.....at any rate, I"m grateful for the 5 extra hp.

ps:   Maybe I have one of those oddball "Monday morning" builds..... my vin tag says "Desoto Division.....wha !! ??

1948 Chrysler build sheet info 1.jpeg

1948 Chrysler build sheet info 2.jpeg

1948 Chrysler build sheet info.jpeg

IMG_2282.JPG

I cannot answer why.

But have seen worked on and driven and own or owned many straight eight C39 Chryslers.

Have never seen a 48 with the two barrel Stromberg. 

As you know the extra 5 hp is good.

My 46 NewYorker 3 passenger coupe was the 140 horse and that car hauled ass!

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Dodgeb4ya:

I noticed you are in WA....my car was delivered in '48 to Carter's Garage in Centralia WA, don't know who the original owner was tho'.  Would love to get my hands on a New Yorker business coupe.....but alas, I have no room for another toy.

Edited by 48 New Yorker

Yeah I sold it just a year ago...thinning down the herd.

It was a fun very rare car I had for over 30 years.

Sold it to a close friend.