Cab mounting bolt opening

bkahler

I was tightening the cab mounting bolts and while doing so I realized there were no plugs or caps for the opening in the floor.  It appears that opening does open to the outside.  Are there supposed to be plugs for the openings?  If not, why not?  Seems like the perfect route for mice to enter into the cab.

20220423_115629.jpg.ad2e2c6520a2953984da4e9a7f8acce5.jpg

5 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

I know of no such plugs on a B3.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by that but I am :)

Considering how badly my seats smelled of mouse urine as I was cleaning them I think I'll find some rubber plugs to pop into the holes.  At least I can make the critters work for their ill gotten gains.

Mice will get in any car or truck regardless of how well it is sealed up.

Keep the mice out of your garage.

Use traps, de-con sticky traps or the 5 gallon bucket.

Cats and snakes work well too.

Once the mice pee a trail to their nest in your car, truck tractor..good luck stopping all the  hundreds of family members who are next coming to visit.

yep, rodents are definitely on the move this time of the year before the snakes come out of the ground...I've got at least one mouse getting into the QuadCab HVAC box when I park by the house at night...that cab, designed in the early 90s, has a rodent entry route that is barely visible in the A-pillar area, but leads straight into the HVAC system.  They don't mess up the carpet, but WOW that is still a mess to clean up, every stinkin' year... :rolleyes:

Not sure why I haven't found any floor plugs in the B-3s, but the B-4s redesigned the cab a bit so there is no need for the floor plugs.

additional information - Pilot-House Cab Differences

I have found a few with plugs.....but it has been pointed out to me (I think Merle ?) that they look to be "Facet Hole covers"...super common.

But they might be original to the design, but the jury is still out my opinion.

48D

13 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Mice will get in any car or truck regardless of how well it is sealed up.

Keep the mice out of your garage.

Use traps, de-con sticky traps or the 5 gallon bucket.

Cats and snakes work well too.

Once the mice pee a trail to their nest in your car, truck tractor..good luck stopping all the  hundreds of family members who are next coming to visit.

All true, but no sense making it easy for them :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JBNeal said:

yep, rodents are definitely on the move this time of the year before the snakes come out of the ground...I've got at least one mouse getting into the QuadCab HVAC box when I park by the house at night...that cab, designed in the early 90s, has a rodent entry route that is barely visible in the A-pillar area, but leads straight into the HVAC system.  They don't mess up the carpet, but WOW that is still a mess to clean up, every stinkin' year... :rolleyes:

Not sure why I haven't found any floor plugs in the B-3s, but the B-4s redesigned the cab a bit so there is no need for the floor plugs.

additional information - Pilot-House Cab Differences

They seem to like the engine compartment of my F250.   It does get rather annoying year after year cleaning out the engine compartment.

I wonder if not installing plugs on the later tracks was a small way of saving money and materials?  I know the start of the Korean war meant a change in materials used, etc.  Maybe this is just another example of that process taking place.

Thanks for the pics.

7 hours ago, 48Dodger said:

I have found a few with plugs.....but it has been pointed out to me (I think Merle ?) that they look to be "Facet Hole covers"...super common.

But they might be original to the design, but the jury is still out my opinion.

48D

I think an argument for originally supplying plugs of some sort is due to the round plugs installed over the gas tank sending unit.  If they are going to plug one hole why not the others?  

I measured mine last night and they are 2" in diameter.  Time to start googling for plugs :)

The ones I have for that area are 2” ID

702838AD-F5F9-4966-AD00-21D3372803F1.jpeg.942e5ef9af2c2d007cf7256c3c0042b3.jpeg

but, the hole on my B3  is 1-7/8” (might have to alter the ID of the plug)

L= sending unit plug, R= mount plug

C5A87B94-DBF8-4F67-B55C-3833E3121D1A.jpeg.d6a02849d857b7ff9815acf35dcf625b.jpeg

Edited by Brent B3B
  • Like 2

My 51 fargo has plugs as well. My cab is sealed up really well. When i had cab off and laying on its back, i worked dilligently at sealing the holes. 
battery cover was another access point, which i sealed as well. 
i hate meeces to pieces!

more like a phobia…

• Haha 1

I found 2” metal hole plugs on Amazon as a pair, relatively inexpensive and figured it was worth a try since the original caps were pretty well rotten. The fastener tabs are shorter, narrower and with more of them, but with a little adjustment of them, they seem to push in relatively tight. I don’t know how much vibrating they will take, but I had to pop them out with a screwdriver.

B846F301-7763-4AD5-AB74-3C984BE49A07.jpeg

994997A4-A244-4567-8884-D2D7E9C7ECA0.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Today I was digging through the various bits and pieces I still need to install and found this hole plug in one of the boxes!  After all these years I don't remember having the plug but obviously my truck had at least one when I bought it :)

Unfortunately I only have one but hey, that's a start!

20220528_161908x.jpg.1328071c26caf521f78a72e292ac08aa.jpg

20220528_161915x.jpg.f64a3c6103bed29303c04b213aedae76.jpg

• Like 1