It's my day!

Tired iron

So I haveta tell you all about this cause my wife doesn't seem to be as excited as me...

As some of you may remember,  the 3 speed transmission in my meadowbrook im restoring is totally shot. Was full of water, instead of oil, for years. Needle rollers brinneled most wear surfaces. 1st and reverse have major tooth loss. So bad....never seen a transmission this bad.

A friend remarked that he thought he knew where one might be, but wasnt sure if it was even the right model. I gave him a hundred bucks and asked him to  grab it next time he was in that town. I figured it was worth the gamble. 

Well, yesterday he showed up at my place with the transmission. I could see right away that it was a the correct 3 speed. But, I didnt recognize what was going on with the weird extension in the rear of it.

I got out a wire brush and cut thru the gunk and lookie what I saw (see pic below)

20220424_075318.jpg.160c11cf2117794925a01fd2756ebba9.jpg

A R10 G-1 model overdrive! So I not only got a parts source for my old gear box (forget that!) I've got a transmission with overdrive and it looks to be in pretty good shape.

I'll know more tomorrow when I open it up. I will have to swap input shafts, tho, I can tell already.

Sometimes you do get lucky

• Like 16

Good reason to be excited.  I swapped to an od.  3300 rpm at 60 is now 2400.  Much less strain the engine and still plenty of torque for most highway hills.  Goodluck on refreshing it.  Member Mark Duggan refreshed one a few years ago, he probably can steer you towards parts sources and maybe some tips and things to look out for.