Clutch pedal doesn't return

cthomp1025

I've recently installed a new clutch plate, pressure plate, and throwout bearing in my 49 Plymouth SD. The push rod is adjusted to just before it engages the clutch fork and when I push down the pedal it engages the clutch fork. When I release the pedal though the pedal only comes up about 2 inches and doesn't pop back up. I've attached the return spring to the clutch fork and it looks like it's working normally. Any suggestions to troubleshoot the clutch pedal? The clutch plate that I replaced was about as thick as a vinyl record and all the new parts are from Andy Berbaum. 

Yes, before we go too far into what if's you need to adjust the clutch properly.  The measurement in the service manual is pedal travel.  Run thru your service manual's procedure.  I deviate from that and set my adjustment up so that with the clutch fully depressed I get about .060" clearance between the disc and pressure plate.  BUt, again, that's not the factory method.  

Double check your work, let's verify that something didn't get reinstalled wrong during the job.  You never know.

One other thing to consider.  I had an issue with my pedal not coming up one day.  Nothing in the clutch or trans was touched, just poor pedal return all of a sudden.  Turns out the linkages needed lubed and cycled.  Then all was well. 

• Thanks 1

I just replaced my clutch last week. Took about 30 minutes to find out why the rod was adjusted almost to the last few threads for a new clutch. 

Something else to look out for is wear on the linkage and pin for the adjustment rods. I am getting a new pin made today and am still looking for and adjustment rod. i don't have any pics right now for the pin but this is what the rod looked like. All told the wear added about 7/16 to 1/2" play in the adjustment rod. Sorry about the crude drawing but it shows what the actual pin looked like.

Joe Lee

clutch adj rod end.jpg

photo0062.jpg

photo0063.jpg

Edited by soth122003

My high school offered metal shop

auto shop and wood shop. (Lucky I guess) I took metal shop and turned it into my vocation, and still did 4 year college.  Get yourself a 110 welder, youd be amazed of what you can learn and create.

Took those in high school myself. Went into the Navy as an electrician then the Air Force as an aircraft/helicopter mech. Retired at 20 and went contracting overseas, paid all my bills off and then retired retired. Now at over 60 with a bad hip, emphazema, PTSD, aeiou stuff and a wore out husk I call a body...., I used to be 10 feet tall and bulletproof now I am 6'7" and water resistant. All that to say I just can't do what I want to anymore, or if I do it will hurt for days. After changing that clutch my shoulders felt like they would fall off and my lower back was black and blue for 3 days from the creeper and the concrete. So while I could buy the wielder and use it one time, I only buy things that I will use on a regular basis. Easier to find some one to do a 5 minute wield than to spend the money i don't have on a one time use item. 

Getting old sucks and it is not for sissies but as my idle Clint says, "A mans got to know his limitations".

Joe Lee

Edited by soth122003

Well it seems it was a little bit of both recommendations. I adjusted the overcenter spring to the 10" clutch plate adjustment. I also had to extend the push rod about 6" with a coupling bolt and threaded rod. Thank y'all for the help!