Clutch and brake (bumpers)

Gaige

So we have the BiD up and running short trips down the road.  Upshifting is not too hard to get, but the downshifting double clutching will take more trips. Here is the question though.   Is there some sort of bumper to stop the pedals from banging the floor pans?  Or do we invent some rubber bumpers, or just “that’s the way it should be”. ?  Has anyone else had this concern ?

image.jpeg

Like those 6-39-3 pads?

E1791C40-E35B-46CA-BFC4-AFA86DEB8E3F.jpeg.84f93091b4814561c7264d9404b9100a.jpeg

Congrats on getting it up and running! Looking good! ?

Edited by Brent B3B
  • Like 1

I had some old garden hose that I cut and slit, slipped over the pedal arms and duct taped to keep them from falling off, and that quieted them down quite a bit.  I believe those rubber draft seals were supposed to help, but they are not quite as robust as they should be.  Some guys have fab'd a rubber pad out of an old mud flap or conveyor belt and bolted to the bottom of the cab or the floorboard...lots of options here to improve ride quality :cool:

Thanks, I never thought (or my family)  we would see it going down the road on its own.  I tried to stay as original as I could. The paint was my grandsons idea. 

Brent, that sorta of looks like my draft seals. Thin flexible rubber that I couldn’t get to stay on the floor cutout. They fit so tight on the pedal arms that it just rides up and down.  They are both on top of the floor, perhaps I should push them down under so they would be the bumper. (But I don’t believe as thin as they are would do much) 

JB.  My thought as well is to put some kind of rubber on the pedal arms.   Is the floor REALLY where they were designed to hit and stop?

Slice a piece of old heater hose and attach to the clutch arm with zip ties.

Edited by 1949 Wraith
  • Like 1

Yes, the seals go on the bottom side of the floor. They are thin, but at least on my truck they do keep the pedals from banging into the floor board. 

• Like 1

Thank all of for responding.  These sound like great ideas. I thought maybe I was the only one bothered by the “bang”. Zip ties, heater hose, foam rubber. Also pushing the draft seals underneath.   I will be trying one of theses soon.. I’ll see what miscellaneous inventory I have in the barn.. 

I made a bracket bolted to the LS transmission mounting bolts with adjustable bolts to control pedal height and stop.

Hated the rattle. Been good for 30+ years.

Pedals Dodge Truck half ton thru B34 YA trucks (2).jpg

• Like 1