Speedometer pointer

Has anyone restored a speedometer.  More specific replaced the clear disc and ring pointer.  My speedometer is functional but the pointer that attaches to the (what I imagine was clear when new) plastic disc has fallen over.  The plastic disc has shrunk significantly over the years and warped.  I was hoping to find a replacement disc but looking at the current one there appears to be no way without damaging the speedometer to remove the old one so a new one can be attached.  I pulled this picture from one for sale on eBay.  Mine has shrunk even more and the metal ring has fallen off. 

speedometer.jpg

Edited by dgrinnan

Yes new disks are available from DCM or eBay. The little metal disk pulls off the speedometer and then can be pried apart. Replace the disk and then crimp the ring back onto the outside of the disk 

2 minutes ago, dgrinnan said:

You just pull the disc off the shaft with gentle pressure?   I was afraid to try.  I am afraid of damaging the delicate mechanism pulling on the shaft. 

Yes and it should ... come off. You are right it can be stuck. I think the one seller off eBay recommends an old fork to slide under and pry. 

Just out of curiosity.  I notice the sort of aqua blue paint on the interior of the housing.  Both mine and the pictures of ones I have seen for sale.  I wonder if that aqua blue has some phosphorescence properties to reflect the back light when the lights are on. Sort of like the old watch dials. 

Edited by dgrinnan

25 minutes ago, dgrinnan said:

Just out of curiosity.  I notice the sort of aqua blue paint on the interior of the housing.  Both mine and the pictures of ones I have seen for sale.  I wonder if that aqua blue has some phosphorescence properties to reflect the back light when the lights are on. Sort of light the old watch dials. 

Very much a good possibility. I cleaned mine well and painted them white and the lights are good.

6 hours ago, dgrinnan said:

Just out of curiosity.  I notice the sort of aqua blue paint on the interior of the housing.  Both mine and the pictures of ones I have seen for sale.  I wonder if that aqua blue has some phosphorescence properties to reflect the back light when the lights are on. Sort of like the old watch dials. 

It doesn't have any phosphorescence properties. I use Rustoleum Satin Seaside for all my work. Toss out the old pieces of blue plastic that melt.

• 2 weeks later...