late getting in from an outing, unfortunate accident

Plymouthy Adams

• Plymouthy Adams changed the title to late getting in from an outing, unfortunate accident

We had a fox or two patrolling the yard.  I watched one as it trotted through the front yard.  It passed the house by about 30 yards, it suddenly sat down, went stock still except its ears, which went into radar dish mode.  It turned  back toward the house and crept back in stealth and search mode.  When about six feet from our front window planting bed it stopped, zeroed on something in the leaves and mulch.  It did an arcing leap into the ground cover at the base of a plant and popped back with a mouse, or mole in its jaws.  It secured its hold. Then finished its path through the yard toward its den.  Imagine  being able to hear something like a small animal rustling dead leaves from 25 to 30 yards away.   Was amazing to watch that beautiful animal doing its job, gathering foods for its litter.  Unfortunately  a few days later we think it got killed by a car down the road from our driveway.  Nature provides as it also destroys.

poor thing trying to take down a VW Rabbit......I also hate to see animals killed on the road....the state now want open season on raccoon and possums 24/7 and I think this is not healthy as the possum is a carrion eater and should stay protect for that reason.  Each have troubles on the highway as it is with high death tolls.  

On 4/23/2022 at 1:26 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

poor thing trying to take down a VW Rabbit......I also hate to see animals killed on the road....the state now want open season on raccoon and possums 24/7 and I think this is not healthy as the possum is a carrion eater and should stay protect for that reason.  Each have troubles on the highway as it is with high death tolls.  

Possums also eat a lot of ticks.